Chapter 47 - Paxton Lenox

We sat under the shady tree we sometimes sat at during lunch. Her back was against my chest and my arm was wrapped loosely around her while I ran my hands through her blonde hair.

"Are you going to dye your hair after the blonde?"

"I'm not sure. I'm going to keep it blonde for a while. I want my hair to take a break," she explained. "Why? Do you think I should dye it a new color?"

"It's your hair. I can't tell you what to do with it. I just wanna say that I like how it is right now."

I did. Her natural shade was beautiful on her. I did enjoy the colorful hair colors but this blonde was gorgeous.

"So where are we going after school?"

"That, my dear Faye, is a surprise." I kissed her cheek. "How could I not surprise you on your birthday?"

The bell rang, and we headed to class.

The rest of the school day went by rather fast and after school, I drove Faye home.

"I'll pick you up in an hour."

"Anything I need to know?"

"Yes. Bring an extra set of clothes, and you might want to wear shorts. Something very casual."

She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Don't worry. You'll have fun."

She nodded her head.

"Alright, one hour, and I'll pick you up."

I reached over, cupped her face and kissed her, then walked down the steps, over to my Jeep.

I got in and drove home. I parked my Jeep out front like I always did and walked inside to get the things ready.

"Paxton, is that you?" My mom called from the kitchen.

"Yeah." I closed the door behind me and walked into the kitchen.

"I have everything ready."

She was cleaning up and putting a few things in the refrigerator.

"Thanks, mom. I really appreciate it."

"Anything for Faye." She smiled, putting the food containers in the brown picnic basket.

"Faye? What about me? I'm your son."

"Of course you are, but I see you everyday, and Faye is so lovely. Don't worry, you're still my favorite son."

"I'm your only son."

"Mhmm." She walked away out of the kitchen.

I walked up the stairs into my bedroom and stripped myself of my clothing. I put on a pair of navy swimming trunks and a plain white tee, then put on a pair of socks and my black converse.

Soon after, I loaded everything in my Jeep and made my way over to Faye's.

I knocked on Faye's door, when I arrived. Moments later, she opened the door.

"Hey," she spoke.

"Hey." I took in her appearance.

Faye wore denim shorts and a black spaghetti strap shirt, with a pair of black sandals. She had a medium-sized bag draped over her shoulder.

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah."

We walked over to my Jeep and got in.

I started the engine and drove, while Faye connected her phone to the aux cord and played some music. She played a few songs from The Killers as I continued to drive up the coast, passing a lot of beaches.