Chapter 48 - Faye Lenards

"Remember, graduation starts at five. You all need to be here at four. Get your graduation gowns and caps. We'll see you later."

I didn't understand why we had to practice on graduation day. We could have practiced the day before but we didn't.

People got up from their seats. Paxton and I joined them, following the group of students who were exiting the field through the gates.

Over by the concession stands, people were getting their graduation wear that they ordered. Everyone wanted to grab their things and go.

Paxton and I got in line, joining the crowd with Paxton standing behind me. Someone shoved me from my right, causing me to bump into the person on my left. This line seriously needed to move faster.

Paxton wrapped his arms around me.

"Don't worry, I'm right here," he spoke into my ear.

It was my turn next. I handed the lady behind the counter my ID card. She handed me back my ID and a plastic bag with my cap and gown in it. I waited off to the side for Paxton.

He walked in my direction with his bag in hand.

"Ready to go?"

I nodded my head.

We walked out to the schools parking lot and got in Paxton's Jeep.

"Wanna get something to eat? Any ice cream?"

"Ice cream, please."

He nodded his head and drove.

When we arrived, Paxton and I ordered. I got my usual mint chocolate chip ice cream and Paxton actually ordered the same thing as me.

"Excited for graduation?" he asked when we were seated outside.

My eyes met his. "Yeah. Also nervous. Very nervous," I mumbled, gripping my cup. "You?"

He leaned closer and propped his elbows on the table. "Yeah. We're finally leaving that hell hole."

I laughed, causing a smile to form on his lips.

"Four years later...." I trailed off.

He nodded his head.

"And we've got college next," he spoke.

I frowned.

College would be another step in our lives. I was excited about that. However, Paxton and I would be attending different schools. He would be going to Cal State San Bernardino, and I would be going to UC Irvine. It was only an hour drive but we were both going to dorm. It would be much harder for us to see each other. We were both going to try though. We needed to try. I didn't want to lose him. He meant everything to me.

"Don't worry," he spoke.

My eyes met his.

"We're going to face-time all the time. Eventually, you're going to get annoyed of the many times that you're going to see my face."

I laughed. "Probably."

He smiled. "And don't worry, I'll take you on so many dates."

I leaned over the small table, held his face, and kissed his cheek.

"I love you." I smiled and sat back in my seat.

"I Love you, too."

"So what are you going to wear for graduation?"

"Black suit and a grey dress shirt. What about you?"

"A slim white dress and red heels."

"That's going to look good."