Chapter 45 - Paxton Lenox

"Faye," I called out.

I had let myself in, since the door was unlocked, and walked into the living room.

"Hey." She walked down the stairs then over to me to kiss me. She then walked into the kitchen, while I followed her.

"Hey," I spoke, sitting on a stool by the island like I always did. "Faye, you should really lock your door."

"Yeah, yeah."

"Faye, I mean it."

"Alright, Paxton." She reached into the fridge for two water bottles and placed them on the island in front of me.

I looked over at Faye, looking at her blonde hair that she had recently dyed. It looked good. She wore a gray tank top shirt and denim shorts, paired with her white converse.

"Isn't that a little too much skin?" I asked her.

She turned around and looked at me.

"Are you trying to tell me what to wear?" She raised an eyebrow.

"What? No. Not like that. I'm just saying it'll be cold later."

"Well, it's supposed to be warm today. We're going to do a lot of walking. I don't want to be hot."

"Alright."

"What about you?"

"Me? I'm wearing jeans and a white shirt. I'm even wearing this black baseball cap."

"Shorts could have been better for this warm weather." She crossed her arms across her chest, proving her point.

"I don't own shorts for going out. Not really my style."

She nodded her head.

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah. Let me get my shoulder bag, first."

I grabbed the water bottles and we walked into the living room. Faye walked upstairs, while I waited.

"Alright, I'm ready to go." She walked down the stairs with a brown leather bag slung over her shoulder.

"School ID? Phone? Keys?"

"Yes, yes, and yes."

We walked out of her house and walked over to my Jeep. We got in, and I drove to our school.

Twelve minutes later, we arrived. I parked in the schools parking lot. Faye and I walked over to the school gym where we waited outside, like everybody else.

"Alright. School IDs out. We're going to make sure you're on the list. We're checking bags and stuff like that," a teacher spoke. "Get in the alphabetical lines so this can go quicker."

Classmates started getting in lines behind the tables where people were sitting, checking off names.

Faye and I walked over to the line that was K-O in last names, since both our last names started with an L. We were actually really close to the front of the line.

"ID please," the girl behind the table spoke to Faye and Faye handed it to her. "Faye Lenards. Alright." She highlighted Faye's name and gave her back her ID.

"Thank you," Faye spoke.

"Next."

I handed her my ID.

"Paxton Lenox. Here we go." She highlighted my name and handed back my ID.

"Any bags on you?" a male teacher asked, when I walked to a different table.