Chapter 21 - Paxton Lenox

I rang the doorbell and waited. I had a bouquet of flowers in my hand. With my other hand, I adjusted my denim button-up shirt. I had the sleeves rolled up to my elbows. I smoothed down a wrinkle on the bottom of the shirt. I looked down at my khaki jeans. I wouldn't usually wear this outfit but you gotta do what you gotta do.

The door slowly opened. I could already feel my heart beat accelerating. It was pounding against my chest.

"Paxton," he spoke.

"Mr. Lenards, nice to see you." I extended my hand to shake his. He shook it with a firm hand.

I had seen him before but hadn't really had a full conversation.

"Come inside."

He stepped to the side, and I walked in. He sat on a couch and motioned for me to sit on the one across from him. So I did.

"I have these flowers for Mrs. Lenards."

He nodded his head.

I looked at Mr. Lenards. He had dark black hair and light-brown eyes. There were a few grey hairs in his hair. They were barely noticeable. He was wearing a white dress shirt and black dress pants.

"Now, I'm going to be quite honest with you," he spoke.

I nodded my head.

"I'm not too happy about Faye dating. I want to know what your intentions are with my daughter."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Sir, I don't want to cause any harm to your daughter. I genuinely like her. That's why I'm dating her. I care for her a lot."

He stared at me for quite some time. He was probably debating on whether or not he was going to believe me.

"Alright, I'll try to believe you. I just don't want anything bad to happen to Faye. I trust that you won't hurt her."

"Of course, sir."

"Dad, what are you saying?" Faye walked down the stairs.

Mr. Lenards and I stood up.

"Hey," she spoke and hugged me.

"Hey," I greeted. "I brought flowers for your mom."

"Thanks, she'll love them. Come on." She held my hand. "She'll love to meet you," she said pulling me into the kitchen. "Mom. This is Paxton."

Faye's mother turned around. She had blonde hair and blue eyes. I could see the resemblance between Faye and her. She had a big smile on her face.

"Paxton, so nice to finally meet you." She shook my hand.

"Same here, ma'am. I got these flowers for you." I handed them to her. She gladly took them.

"Thank you. They're lovely."

"Anything I can help with?" I asked her.

"Oh, no. It's fine. Faye and I already got everything settled. We're just waiting for the chicken to be ready out of the oven."

"We'll be in my room. Call us if you need anything," Faye spoke.

Her mother nodded her head.

"Come on, Paxton." She led the way and we walked up the stairs, into a bedroom.

The walls were painted purple. There was a white wooden desk in the left corner, by a closet, and a bed in the center of the wall across from us with white bed sheets. She had a few posters up on the wall: Green day, Blink-182, and Fall Out Boy.

"So this is my room," she spoke. She walked over and sat on her bed.

I sat on the white chair by her desk.

"It's cool," I spoke. "I thought it'd be more colorful or something."

"So you've thought about my bedroom?" she questioned.

What? No. "No, not like that!"

She smiled. "I'm just joking. Hey, thanks for coming today."

I nodded my head. "Of course. Your dad seems like he wants to kill me."

"I doubt it."

"Well, I think so. You're his only child, and you're a girl, so I think he'd be a little overprotective."

She stood from the bed. She made her way over to me and stood right in front of me. Since I was sitting down, I had to look up at her. She looked down at me. She intertwined her hands behind my neck, and I wrapped my arms around her waist.

"Really, thanks for being here." She kissed me.

"Anything for you."

I heard someone clear their throat. "Dinner is ready," Mr. Lenards spoke. He was standing by Faye's door.

Crap.

I let go of Faye, and she stepped back.

"We'll be down," Faye spoke.

He nodded his head and walked away.

Faye chuckled. I looked at her with wide eyes.

"It's not funny. He's definitely going to kill me now."

"Calm down. He's not going to do anything. Well, he does have a gun..." She trailed off.

I stood from the chair. "What?"

"I'm just kidding." She reached up and kissed my cheek. "Come on, let's go downstairs."

We walked downstairs and into the dining room. The table was set already. Faye and I took a seat next to each other. Her parents sat across each other.

"I hope you enjoy chicken, potatoes, and green beans," her mother spoke.

"Yes, ma'am," I replied.

We all started eating. The food was really good.

"So, Paxton," Mr. Lenards spoke. "What are your plans after high school?"

"Hopefully college, sir. I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools."

He nodded his head.

"Any ideas on what you plan to major in?"

"I'm still not sure, sir."

After that, dinner was fairly easy.

Faye's parents asked a few more questions, but they were fairly easy to answer. Mostly questions about school, hobbies, and things like that. They were trying to get to know me and see if I was good enough for their daughter. I didn't blame them. If I had a daughter I would do the same.

After dinner, I offered to help clear the table, but Faye and her mom denied.

Faye and I sat on the step of her front porch afterwards.

"Thanks for being so great tonight." She leaned her head on my shoulder.

"Anything for you." I wrapped my arm around her and kissed the top of her head.

"I like your outfit," she commented.

"Oh yeah? The button up and khakis are to die for," I joked.

"Believe it or not, they may be. I like the look."

Hmm. Maybe she did.

"I'll keep that in mind."

"I hope you do." I could hear the smile in her voice.