Chapter 46 - Faye Lenards

"Where's my highlighter?" I asked myself, only to find it on the floor, beside my desk the next second.

Stress was starting to consume me, needing to study. Finals week was coming up, and I needed to make sure I knew the material in order to pass all my exams.

"Faye, do you want anything to eat?" My mom walked into my bedroom.

"Not right now, thanks."

She nodded her head and walked out.

I got up from my chair, grabbed a textbook from the shelf in my closet, and sat back down in the chair to read some of the pages.

"Come in," I called out, hearing the knock on my door.

I didn't look up from my books and continued to study.

"Hey." I felt someone kiss the top of my head.

"Hey. I didn't know it was you," I said, looking up.

"I could tell."

I turned my attention back to the books before me.

"How long have you been studying?" I heard my bed move.

I assumed he sat on the edge as I highlighted a few more words on my notebook.

"Faye," I heard. "Faye."

"Huh?" I turned around to face him.

"How long have you been studying?" he repeated the question.

"I'm not sure. Two, maybe three hours."

"Three hours? Faye, you need to take it down a notch."

"Paxton, I need to study." I turned back to my notebooks.

He didn't say anything else. I continued to read over my notes and write down major points and a few important things here and there on a new notebook.

"Come on." I heard him stand up and walk towards me.

"Where?" I didn't look up, continuing to read over my notes.

"Just c'mon."

"Paxton, I can't, I need to study."

I felt bad, knowing he really wanted to hang out.

The past week I had been studying so much.

After our prom and six flags trip, I told him I needed to focus on my studying. He understood and backed off a little, knowing how much I needed to study and pass my finals.

I barely saw him, despite being at school together. We would still hang at school, but I would do homework and extra credit work. After school, he would just drop me off at home, and I would continue where I left off on my studying.

He completely understood, but he also wanted to spend time with me which caused me to feel like an awful girlfriend for ignoring him the way I did.

"You've been studying for three hours. I think that's enough. That much studying can't be good. Plus studying for that long doesn't help retain information."

"Alright, alright. Just one more page."

I heard him sit on the bed again.

I finished the page and stood from my chair. I walked over to him and stood before him. My arms wrapped around him, accidentally making us fall back onto my bed.

He wrapped his arms around me.

I could smell the cologne he usually wore. The cologne that made me weak to my knees. It smelled amazing, and it was so intoxicating.

"Ready to go?"

"Just a little bit longer."

He chuckled as my head rested on his chest, feeling his calm heartbeat. His chest rose and fell, with every breath he took.

"Alright, I'm ready," I murmured into his chest.

I got off him and stood, extending my hand for him to take. He grasped my hand in his and stood.

I quickly put on my boots, and we walked out of my bedroom.

We walked down the stairs and out the front door. Paxton opened the car door for me like he always had. I got in, and he closed the door after me, then walked around and got in the drivers seat.

"I love you." He grabbed my hand and kissed the back of it.

I smiled, loving how he was always so sweet to me.

"I love you, too." I cupped his face and brought his lips to mine.

When we pulled away and smiled, Paxton turned on the engine and drove.

When we arrived at the ice cream shop, we got in line behind a few people. Paxton wrapped his arm around me, and I leaned into him.

When it was our turn, we ordered our ice cream. I ordered my mint chocolate chip ice cream, while Paxton ordered rocky road ice cream.  
We sat at the usual table we sat at in the front.

"Thanks for the ice cream," I thanked him.

"It's no problem. Can you believe we graduate in less than two weeks?"

"Please, don't remind me. Paxton, I'm not ready to graduate."

"It's alright. I'll be here for you."

"It's so scary."

"Breathe, Hon, breathe."

I did just that, taking a deep breath and exhaling.

"I seriously need to pass my exams."

"You will. Just relax. Everything will turn out okay," he reassured me.

I nodded my head, hoping it all would.

My attention turned to Paxton. I watched as he ate his ice cream. He was grabbing spoonfuls and stuffing his face. He got some on the corner of his lips which he quickly licked off. That made me chuckle. He concentrated on getting the last bit of ice cream on his cup which just made me smile.

"What?" he asked looking up to meet my eyes.

I shook my head, looking down at my own ice cream and eating some.

"Seriously, what?"

"Nothing." My eyes met his again. "I'm sorry."

His eyebrows furrowed and he leaned closer over the table. "For what?"

"For ignoring you and not spending that much time with you. Lately, I've been an awful girlfriend. And I'm sorry for that."

He shook his head. "Faye..."

"It's true. I have."

"No, you haven't." He reached over and held my hand. "I completely understand why you don't want to hang out."

My lips pursed together and I frowned. "You're too good to me."

His eyebrows merged together.

"I'm not the best and you're so good to me. You're everything."

He smiled a bit. "Don't say that. You're acting like that because I get that you want to pass your exams and all. You're not horrible or anything. You're quite perfect."

A smile spread across my lips, as my insides grew warm.

When we finished our ice cream, we stood from the table and threw away the empty cups.

"Wanna go for a walk?"

I nodded my head.

As we walked, Paxton held my right hand in his left hand, gently rubbing my hand with his thumb.

His presence calmed my nerves.