{chapter seven}

I wake up, and get ready. I let Sky sleep in. She was going to have a big day. I go out and order the boys around, just distracting them until I could start the plan. Eventually, it's time. Close to high tide. I hear a scream from inside my tent, then the tribe surrounds the camp - which was meant to scare the boys.

"Skylar?!" I yell. Tiger Lily comes out, just how we rehearsed.

"We've taken her. I'm supposed to be the only girl in your life, Peter," she says.

"Give her back," I demand.

"You'll only get her back if you're willing to fight for her,"

"I can take on your tribe,"

"You're not going to. You're not fighting us, foolish boy. You're fighting the mermaids. Good luck, Peter Pan," she says, before walking away, her tribe following her. The boys get their weapons.

"It's my fight, boys. And you don't have magic, you can't fight the mermaids," I say.

"Peter...Are you going to be okay?" John asks, running up to me.

"I'm going to be fine," I assure him. I grab my dagger, and run off to the sunken cave. During high tide, it filled to almost the very top, only a foot or two under it. It was almost high tide. It would be about 6 feet from the top now. I grab some of the last bit of pixie dust I had, saving the rest for my plan with Henry, I sprinkle it on myself, and fly to the cave. When I get outside, I here Skylar's screams for help. I fly in, and she's standing on the top of the tallest rock, sobbing as the mermaids circled below her.

"Skylar!" I yell. She sees me and focuses on me, sobbing and begging for help. The mermaids come to the surface.

"We're much better for you, Peter. You don't need girls in your life!" They say, cackling.

"Girls, don't touch her," I say as the tide rises.

"Too late," they say, before grabbing her ankle. I fly over to her, and they drag her under way before the three foot cue. I swim under, kicking the mermaid in the wrist. They keep going. I use magic on the skank, making her fly back as I held Skylar to me. Wrapping my arms her, I fly up out of the water. I fly out of the cave. She wraps her arms and legs around me tightly, sobbing into my neck.

"Thank you," she whimpers.

"Oh, you poor thing," I whisper. I didn't plan her actually being drowned. The mermaids went back on the plan. They hurt her. There were already cuts and bruises on her. I fly her back to camp. We land, but she doesn't let go, sobbing into me. The boys crowd around us, but I push them away, taking her in my tent. I wrap a towel around her, trying to dry her off. Eventually, I just use magic so both of us are dry. She wraps her arms and legs around me again, and continuing to sob into me.

"I'm sorry..." I whisper, rubbing her back. She squeezes me tighter. I kiss her forehead and lay down on the bed, her cuddled up to me. I reach down and pull the blankets over our heads. I gently place a hand on her cheek, taking her attention to me.

"Hey, you're okay now," I whisper. She gives me a weak smile, tears spilling out of her eyes.

"Thank you, Pan..." She whispers.

"Peter," I whisper. "Call me Peter," She smiles.

"Thank you, Peter..." She whispers with a kind smile.

"God, you shouldn't be here. You could've been in a town surrounded by heroes, having people to protect you at all times. Instead you're here and surrounded by villains,"

"But you're a hero to me, and that's enough," she says, before letting more tears fall out.

"When I told you that first day that I wouldn't let anything hurt you - I meant it. I love you, Sky," I whisper. Her eyes widen when she looks up at me.

"Y-You love me?"

"Yeah. A lot,"

"I-I've never loved someone before. Not even a parent... I can't tell you the same thing back. I don't know what love feels like,"

"It's okay, you don't have you," She cuddles up to me, burying her face in my chest and hugging me tight. I move the blankets down to our shoulders and hold her tight. We fall asleep, tangled in each other's arms.