Chapter 19

Connie was making her way into the ED with Grace and Mia. It had been only two weeks since Connie's birthday. Two weeks of blissful life with their baby finally at home. Time as a family had been like a dream, a dream which ultimately had to end.

"But Muuuuum-" "But Graaaaace. I'm sorry sweet heart but for now this is how it has to be." Grace groaned rolling her eyes as she closed the car door. "Can you carry Mia's bag for me please baby?" Grace nodded picking it up while Connie lifted the car seat out of the car.

She stood up and started walking towards the department with her daughters when several members of staff began rolling out of the hospital finishing their shifts. Grace smiled running over to them having noticed Alicia and Robyn.

Connie smiled to Alicia who immediately bent down and began talking to Grace. "What are you doing here?" "Mum's starting work again today so we had to come in too." Alicia glanced up to Robyn who shrugged looking to Grace. "How does another movie day sound with us?" "Really?"

Grace's face illuminated at the prospect before remembering her Mum. "I doubt Mum will say yes... She's been funny ever since Mia came back." "Leave it with me." Alicia stood up watching as Connie neared them.

"Morning Mrs Beauchamp-" "Dr Munro. Come on Grace, I need to get in and start my shift sweet heart." Robyn smiled at Grace as she tripped over her words. "Umm Mrs Beauchamp, we could take Grace for the day-" "We don't mind looking after her. We'll keep her safe if you're worried about that."

Connie turned back to face the girls properly looking between them all. "I don't know Grace, it's just easier if-" "Pleeeease Mum, I promise I'll be good for Alicia and Robyn." Connie sighed looking down at Mia who was beginning to stir.

Grace gave her Mum the perfect puppy dog face causing her to give in. "Fine, but if I hear anything about you not listening to Dr Munro then you're in big trouble missy." Grace smiled jumping up and down before moving forwards wrapping her arms around Connie. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Alright sweetheart, now go. Behave yourself, I love you." Grace smiled before wandering off with Alicia and Robyn leaving Connie to make her way inside. "Ah morning Mrs Beauchamp." Noel greeted her as he passed her a stack of envelopes which she balanced in one hand along with some patient notes while carrying Mia's car seat and baby bag in the other.

She moved away from the desk stumbling slightly before someone approached her. "Woah, careful. Need a hand wonder woman?" She rolled her eyes at Charlie as he took all the paperwork from her hands. "Thanks, need a million and one hands with children apparently." Charlie nodded pushing open her office door for her.

"No Grace today?" "She was with me just then, but Alicia and Robyn have taken her for the day. Am I a bad mother?" Charlie tried to catch up with how fast she was speaking. "What?" "It's just I feel bad for palming off my children on other people so I can work."

Connie sat down at her desk as she took Mia out of her car seat holding her close to her chest. "You are anything but a bad mother Connie. You love and care for your children, having someone look after Grace for a few hours is not bad parenting."

She offered a warm smile as he perched on the sofa watching Connie with Mia. "How's she doing?" "She's been as good as gold, especially for Jacob. It's like he can't do a thing wrong." "A father's touch." She hummed in agreement as she looked down at Mia with a grin before remembering all the paperwork that she would need to get through in order to catch up.

Charlie noticed the sudden shift before standing up. "Pass her here-" "Huh?" Charlie stepped closer with his hands outstretched. "Let me take Mia to give you a couple hours head start on all that-" "No, no Charlie I'd rather you were out in the department."

He nodded still walking towards her. "I would, if my shift hadn't finished 20 minutes ago. Now let me take her." Connie glanced to him as her baby girl happily settled straight into his arms. "She's missed you already-" "Who wouldn't? Now where's here bag, I know you bought one."

Connie placed it on the desk as Charlie reached for it putting it over his shoulder. "Charlie you don't need-" "Excuse me, but right now you're clinical lead and you've been gone two weeks. I saw how much work you've got to get through and I know you'll never cope with Mia as well. Now let me help you, okay?"

Reluctantly she nodded watching as Charlie slowly walked from the room with Mia leaving her alone for the first time in 14 days. As the door closed Connie sunk back into her chair letting go of a long breath. She ran a hand against her forehead closing her eyes briefly, acknowledging the silence.

She quickly sat up straightening herself out and started with all the over due work. It was bound to be one hell of a first day back but she was up for a challenge after a few weeks out. All she hoped was for the day to go quickly so that she could be curled up in bed beside Jacob once again.