ONE.

"Are you finished?", my professor asked me as I sat in the classroom still. Everyone else had left. I, on the other hand was stuck here still trying to figure out these math problems.

I wasn't the brightest student. I averaged C's pretty often. I was especially slow when it came to anything math related. Going into the pharmaceutical field didnt really help much either going along with the fact that they'd piled me up with math and science classes.

I was currently in calculus and stressing my life away while barely maintaining a 45% overall grade in the class. This was my second time taking it considering the first time the professor had personally dropped me herself.

I sighed and gave up on the problem I was attempting. "I'm done Professor Bailey. I'll get out of your hair now. I know you have another class in five minutes", I told him with small smile.

He politely returned the gesture and spoke,"Actually Kareem, I've been wanting to speak with you."

"Yes sir?", I asked wondering what he would have to talk to me about.

He cleared his throat,"Ive noticed that you are sort of struggling in my class. I wanted to know if you considered tutoring or even just spending some time down at the math lab?".

I chuckled,"I have actually. Maybe i'll start going today." He smiled,"I'm  pretty sure it will really help you Ms.Landry."

"Hopefully", I said before grabbing my things and exiting the classroom.

I wasnt going to go to any tutoring. Truth be told I was a bit too prideful. Although most would probably argue that I had no pride or even any self confidence.

I didnt hate myself or anything but my insecurities got the best of me pretty often. I knew I wasn't a bad looking girl. I was an average, caramel skin toned, curly haired black girl. Normal dark brown eyes that I loved to grace with winged liner and my copper dyed hair and freckles made me visible to anyone looking for me.

I loved myself but the tiniest blemish on my face could make me feel like the scum of the earth. 

Which is one thing I wasn't proud of.

I walked down the hall quietly rapping along to Ps & Qs by Lil Uzi Vert when I spotted him.

I didn't know his name, but every time I saw him in the past two years of my college career, I caught butterflies.

He was around six feet tall with milk chocolate skin. Tattoos graced his arms and his smile was to die for. Sometimes he would wear a bottom grill but today it wasn't present which meant all of his pearly whites were on display. He had the most beautiful big brown eyes and his facial hair was always trimmed up perfectly. 

I always strategically walked this way to see him. I knew on Tuesdays and Thursdays he walked this way to class and I made sure I came this way just to sneak a glance at him.

I never seen him around any friends except one guy who I assume is his best friend. 

I hurriedly walked past him in the direction of my dorm. He didn't even glance my way.

He never did. I wouldn't think he would anyway. I'm not much to look at.

I mentally face palmed my self for tearing myself down again as I walked into my dorm building.

I walked into the door and was greeted by my roommate and only friend Aaliyah.

She was gorgeous brown skinned girl who came here to attend FAU from London. She was super stylish and wanted to begin her own clothing line soon.