Chapter 45

Sunday

I woke up to my phone ringing. Half of me was hoping it was Ryan, calling to apologize for treating me that way and on his way here. The other half was praying that wasn’t Ryan because I was still mad over our discussion yesterday.

I sighed when I saw the name flashing over my screen was Maya's.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey, wanna do something today?" She asked.

Knowing there was almost to no possibility of me running into Ryan, I didn’t want to take my chances.

"Uhm, not really. I was just gonna relax at home for today" my reply was impassive.

"Oh. Okay"

"Sorry" I sighed.

"No, it’s okay. Are you with Ryan?" She asked.

"Why would you think that?" I said.

"Because no one has heard of him and you just said you wanted to stay in for the day" she replied.

"No, Ryan isn’t here. I'll uhm- I’ll talk to you later, kay?"

"Alright, bye" a second after she hung up.

I ran my fingers through my hair and set the phone down.

I ate and watched TV before changing- track shorts and a loose top were all I was in the mood for. I sat on my bed and listened to music while finishing the homework I should have done yesterday.

My phone began to ring and I pulled the headphones out of my ears. I moved the laptop off my lap to set it on the empty side of the bed as I got up.

Ryan.

I ignored the call then sat back down. I had a reason to be mad- he didn’t.

He treated me horribly, and then got mad just because I was talking to Jake, plus he told me I was embarrassing him. He probably didn’t mean that but it still hurt. He shot me fighting words just to get a reaction from me, just to hurt me. HE had no reason to be mad. All I did was stand up for myself and talk to Jake. That’s all I did. Ryan was the one who was overreacting and crazy; Not me.

It was already 3pm and I haven’t done anything besides homework and listen to music. I should go out and do something, but what? I didn’t want to confront Ryan yet. He needs to know that I am mad and I am not letting this go easily.

Who is Kelvin? That is what was killing me. Why did Ryan treat me like that in front of Kelvin? What money were they talking about? Why didn’t Ryan answer any of my questions?

About an hour later, my phone rang yet again. I ignored the call then continued to my business.

I soon heard a knock on the door. What if it is Ryan? What will I tell him? Will I make him go away or should we talk it out?

I sighed and walked to the door. I let out a breath and tried to control my anxiety. After opening the door, I smiled and all the worry disappeared.

"Hello, Kristen" said the old lady.

"Hi. How is everything?" I smiled.

"Marvelous. I was just going out of town for the evening and I was wondering if a certain young lady could take care of Pickles for me" her wrinkled skin and white teeth formed a smile.

"Of course" I replied.

"Thank you so much, darling" she handed me the small dog and some food.

After setting Pickles free and closing the door, I walked towards the kitchen to pour the dog food into a bowl.