Chapter 26: Telling the kids

Chapter 26

-Peeta-

The following two days, we spend telling all our stories for Finnick.

However, he was most interested in how we succeeded keeping Katniss first pregnancy and Willow a secret for almost five years, the whole story between Finn and Cassidy and Haymitch heart attack.

"But it's not very surprising, you were the biggest drunk I've ever met", Finnick says.

Oh no! Willow and Rye don't know about that yet.

"What?!" Willow asks and stands up.

Finnick looks alarmed.

"Oh shit... Euhm ... You guys haven't told them?" He asks looking at me, Katniss and Haymitch.

We look at him with wide eyes and shaking our heads.

"What did he mean?" Rye asks shocked and stands next to Willow.

Fuck!

They love Haymitch so much. They have never seen him drunk, not ever, he haven't been drinking a single drop of alcohol after the heart attack, not that he didn't have any choice, but still.

"Uh..." Haymitch says a bit frightened. "Uh... Sort of eh ... Eh... I d-don't kn-now".

"Wait now just a minute! Grandpa Haymitch doesn't stutter, not ever!" Willow says upset. "What are you not telling us?"

"Oh my god ... You guys I'm so very sorry, I just thought it was obvious", Finnick says sounding truly sorry while he looks at me, Katniss and Haymitch.

Why does he apologize? He couldn't have known... Now I understand what Katniss means when I do the same thing.

"What do you mean Uncle Finnick? What is it that should be obvious? Oh I'm so sick of all the secrets, I mean even if we know some, we don't know as much as we should", Willow says angry pointing at herself and Rye who nods.

I realize it's true. For example, they don't know about me being hijacked when I was seventeen, but really that's just one of the many things they don't know.

Oh no... I'm a terrible father!

But of course they know that Haymitch isn't their biological grandfather, or well, not Sunny though, but Willow and Rye does, they really don't care, they have no other grandpa and he means so much to them, they've always seen him as their grandpa and they always will. They've said so themselves. And that's why they get so angry right now.

"Now! What was that you said about grandpa Haymitch?" Rye asking.

"Uh..." Katniss starting.

Katniss sounds very insecure. Though it can be because of that Haymitch heart attack suddenly became the topic. Katniss is the one who has the most difficult to talk about that. It's a little strange how she could go from really loath Haymitch to really love him as her father. But hey! Who's complaining, right?

"It was a few things that happened after my Hunger Games", Haymitch slowly begins. "And after that I really didn't saw a reason to live in reality, so I started to drink my feelings away, it went too far and I became a drunk, but then... One day, I met your parents and they opened my eyes a bit, but not enough to make me stop drinking completely, but for the first time a felt like I had a family".

I look at Haymitch, chocked. That, he has never told us before, and he took his time to say it too, I mean the man is eighty.

Still, I can't believe he just said that. Oh Haymitch...

"When I found out that they were going to have you Willow, I realized that I couldn't continue on like that, I didn't want to expose a little baby to it", Haymitch says and looks at Willow. "But just after I decided that, I got a heart attack after all the years of drinking and I was forced to stop even if I hadn't wanted to, if I didn't want another heart attack and I didn't ... I really wanted to meet my grandchildren".

It's completely silent. Finnick still looks apologetic, but I really don't think he has a reason to, I mean we had to tell them some day, better late than ever right?

Willow looks at Haymitch, before she throws herself in his arms.

"Oh grandpa", she says.

Rye also hugs Haymitch.

"I'm sorry, maybe we shouldn't have forced you to tell us", Rye said.

"No it really doesn't matter, it would have come out sooner or later", Haymitch says. "Now I'm just a tinpot old man, so why not later? Which it really was".

Well you got that right.

I wrap my arms around Katniss and she curls up in my embrace. She looks really sad, and I know that it's about the heart attack and the fact that Haymitch really is getting old, he is, and we can't do anything to stop it.

"No Grabdpa, you're really cute", Sunny shouts from Dellys lap and we all start laughing.

Willow walk backward and sits down in Felix's lap.

"Finnick now you're not missing a single bit of our lives, or your own for that matter", Katniss says with a little smile.

Finnick smiles. He has his arms wrapped around Annie who still looks like she still can't believe that she has her husband back. But can you blame her?

Finnick takes one of Finns hand and kisses Annies head.

"I won't", he says lovingly.

Suddenly Sunny jumps down from Dellys knee. Delly giggles. Sunny runs up to Finnick.

"Uncle Finnick..." She says, and Finnick looks down at her. "I heard that you like sugar cubes ... So here you go!"

Sunny holds out her little hand and there she has a sugar cube.

No one can hold their laughter in.

Finnick takes the sugar cube and put it in his mouth.

"Mmmm", he says. "Thank you Sunny, you're a life saviour".

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Hey you guys, did you like this chapter? Please tell me what you thought, please, please, please.

Please vote and comment to make my day better :)

-Josephine xx