Chapter 35: How could I?

Chapter 35

-Katniss-

The guilt I feel, is eating me up from the inside, slowly and painfully.

Why can't I remember what I've forgotten? This is really getting ridiculous now, isn't it?

Peeta is staring in front of him, just staring, and I can see at him that he is trying so really hard to also try to remember what he has forgotten.

I'm starting to think that we maybe have forgotten the same thing, because Peeta told me that he also feels guilty of something he can't remember, and that's exactly how I feel.

We're walking down towards the beach to get to our beach hut. We would find the key at the beach bar.

People are staring at us with dreamy expressions and shy smiles. Some of them even takes pictures of us.

But suddenly Peeta stops. I look at Peeta and see horror in his eyes.

"Peeta?" I ask carefully.

He doesn't answer me or looking at me. He continue to stare ahead.

I go from his side and stand in front of him instead.

"Peeta sweetie?" I say anxiously.

He still doesn't answer or looks at me and I get even more worried. Peeta doesn't even blink. Why doesn't he blink?

"Peeta! Baby what is it?" I say, snapping my fingers in front of his face.

Peeta hates it when I snap my fingers in front of his face, but sometimes I have no choice.

Especially not now, because I need to get him to blink, his beautiful eyes will dry out of he doesn't.

Peeta blinks when I snap my fingers in front of his face, he focus his eyes on me but still says nothing. He doesn't seem irritated that I snapped my fingers though, in his eyes only horror is still visible.

Suddenly Peeta wraps his arms around me and pulls me close to him.

People stops to look at us, all of them with huge smiles on their faces. Now they see us live hugging each other, they don't know that Peeta is scared of something, they only see me in his arms. But I don't care about them right now. I only care about Peeta now.

"Honey what is it?" I ask.

"I don't know ... I just ..." He starts and swallows hard. "It feels as if I have forgotten something about you".

"About me?" I ask confused. "What can that be?"

Peeta shakes his head and his arms holds me tighter onto him. As if he's afraid of that someone is going to jump in front of us and take me away from him.

"Okay Peeta sweetie, try to calm down now", I say and caress his cheek to calm him down. "Whatever it is, you'll find out, okay?"

Peeta nods and lets go of me while I take a tight grip on his hand.

"And Peeta always remember that that no one can take me away from you", I say to him.

Peeta nods and I put my other hand on his neck and kisses him lovingly on the lips.

I don't even care about all the people around us. If I want to kiss my husband, I should be able to do that, no matter where we are.

When we pull apart, Peeta leans his forehead against mine.

"Stay with me?" He whispers.

"Always", I whisper back.

Peeta starts to smile and I smile back at him too. Nothing can describe my love for this man.