Chapter 28: Willow's plan

Chapter 28

-Willow-

When I come down to the kitchen, I see Mama standing by the kitchen island, looking through a thin book.

While she's looking in the book she smiles sadly and I see tears form in her eyes.

Sunny is sitting by the little table for two, a small table we have in the kitchen. She's coloring in her coloring book.

"Hey Mama", I say.

Mama jumps when she hears me and closes the book. She looks at me with a smile.

"Oh", she says. "Hi sweetie".

What is it with Mama? She seems so absent, so deep in her thoughts.

"Where's Papa and Rye?" I ask and sit down in one of the high chairs in front of Mama by the kitchen island.

"In the bakery", Mama says.

Of course they are, and it's Saturday, so the bakery isn't even open at this time. The bakery closes at two a'clock in the afternoon on Saturdays, and it's three a'clock now. It's at this time on a Saturday, Mama usually is there to look over the economy and stuff for the bakery, so I guess that she'll probably get going soon.

"Oh okay", I say.

Mama walks up to the fridge and takes out two water bottles. She comes back and hands me one of then across the kitchen island.

"Thanks", I say and take it.

Mama smiles. But I notice that there is something bothering her. She's always been bad at hiding stuff.

"Mama what is it?" I ask anxiously.

"What? Nothing, everything's okay sweetie", she says, but of course I don't believe her, she really is lousy at lying.

I reach for the book that Mama was looking in.

For a moment, I see that Mama is thinking about whether she should stop my action or not.

But she doesn't, she just looks at me when I open the book.

It's not a book though, it's a photo album. With Mama and Papa. Neither I, Rye or Sunny is in the photos, so this must all be from before we were born. You also can see that because on the photos, Mama and Papa are very young, and the book itself is also quite worn on the cover.

There are quite a lot of photos of Mama and Papa. It's different photos, some are from Mamas lake in the woods, some are from home, others are from the beach in District 4, others are with Mama and Papa with Finn when he was very little.

I can't stop a laugh when I see a picture with Mama and Papa at a baptism, and it was only because Aunt Annie was there too I realized that the very chubby but really cute baby was in fact Finn. But I only realized that it was him because I remembered that Mama and Papa are Finns godparents and the fact that Aunt Annie were there.

But on all the photos that Mama and Papa are by themselves, no one can miss to see all the love in their eyes.

They look at each other with such reverence and love, just as they do now everytime they're in the same room ... So almost all the time if you sums it up.

When I look at the photos, I notice that Mama and Papas appearance hasn't change much, Mama is just as beautiful now as when she was in her twenties and Papa is just as handsome.

"Was it the photos that made you sad?" I ask Mama and close the album when I've looked at all the photos.

"No sweetheart", Mama says. "It's just ... You know I love you, Rye and Sunny more than my own life, your Papa too, but me and your Papa hasn't had a single evening to ourselves since you were born, but of course we knew that when we first got you".