Chapter 29

*Megan's POV*

All I remember we're the glaring lights coming closer, then it all got dark. I could feel my body getting shifted and moved, but I couldn't see or hear anything.

The only thing I could 'hear' was the thumping of my heart. Slow, but steady. It stopped for a few seconds a couple times. But it kept going.

I don't know how long had passed before I started to hear things. Muffled words, footsteps, beeping of machines, all sounded as though I was hearing them through water, distorted.

I still couldn't move. It was like I was weightless. An out of body experience. And I still couldn't see. But I could feel.

Someone kept holding my hand, stroking their finger across my knuckles. I would feel pressure against my temple, a soft pressure, though, as if someone was kissing me.

I was sure it was Niall. I could feel his presence, it was warm and comforting. It was only gone when what I presumed were the doctors came in. I was in the hospital.

Occasionally they would move me, taking me to an exam room, or something like that, for I could hear muffled beeps and clicks.

I wanted so desperately to wake, but I didn't have the strength. I had barely any strength. And I was terrified.

What if I would never see Niall again? What if I never saw my parents, my dog? What if I never saw Sierra, or the guys again? What if I never woke, and I was trapped in limbo for the rest of my life?

I wanted to cry, but I couldn't.

I never felt lonely, because of Niall's presence. I just kept thinking of getting back to him. I had to.

Then I remembered Sierra was here, too. Was she alright? Was she like me? Or was she worse? I became even more terrified of losing my best friend.

I don't know how much time passed. Had hours, days, weeks passed? I could be missing school. But then again, if I was like this now, I might not be able to go to school for a long time.

I passed the time by thinking. Thinking about my parents, and what they were doing. Thinking about Niall, and how he must be feeling. But most of all, I was thinking about death

I had always thought death was so far away, that I had loads of time before I would really have to think about it. But now I could see how wrong I was. I could die at any minute. Between every beat, my heart could very well give out. And I was horrified.

I didn't want to die. I needed to live. I wanted to live. And I kept pushing, trying to stay alive, trying to clear the haze.

I needed to stay alive for my friends, for my family, my parents, Niall, and most importantly, myself.