Chapter 31: True Grit From Two Friends!

Serena and Misty stood still, staring at each other. They both knew their prides were at stake at the outcome of this battle. Clemont had asked them to release their Pokémon for the battle as he finished saying the regulations of this 1v1 battle.
'Delphox, your up!' Serena shouted and released the fire starter of Kalos. Misty smiled at her decision and grabbed her PokéBall.
'Gyrados, make it rain!' Misty twirled around on the spot and threw her PokéBall in the air. Gyrados came out and roared making the cold winds fly around rapidly. Cold chills went down the group, because of the impact of the roar.
Clemont looked at both girls and raised his hand, 'battle begin!'

'Delphox use flamethrower' Serena commanded. The fox Pokémon released the energy of fire that was subsided in her mouth. The fire wrapped around the Gyrados' big body. Gyrados took the hit but was standing it's ground, determined to pass through.
'Use hydro pump to get rid of the fire' Misty shouted. Gyrados released water from it's mouth and sprayed it all around. The fire evaporated revealing Gyrados who looked unscathed and unnerved by the attack.
'Ash wasn't kidding about this, she is definitely tough,' Serena tried to think of processes to catch the Gyrados off guard. 'Use flamethrower again' Serena commanded. The starter obeyed and once again released the fire power towards the Gyrados.

'What is she up to?' May said confused by Serena's tactics. Ash just stood there with a smile. 'This could work but it will do some damage but not a lot.' Ash said. The group looked at him and then back to the battle scene to see her plan.

'Gyrados use hydro pump and stop it!' Misty said. Gyrados roared and sent the water from it's mouth towards the oncoming flamethrower. There was an explosion causing the snow to fly around. Misty couldn't see what's ahead but was soon baffled by the next move.
As soon as the dust settled, a shadow ball came hurtling to Gyrados who stood rooted to the spot. 'Dodge it!' Misty said but it was too late and Gyrados took the hit dead on. It was a critical hit as multiple scratches showed up on it's body as well as the heavy breathing.
'I'll give you that one Sere, that was clever but now we will show our power,!' Misty said acknowledging the move, 'Use dragon rage!' Misty shouted and the Gyrados roared louder than before and sent the dragon rage to the Delphox.
'Use flamethrower!' Serena shouted. The flamethrower successfully stopped the dragon rage but were hit by an unexpected attack, 'Hydro pump' Misty shouted. Gyrados released the jet of water from it's mouth towards the fire type. 'Delphox dodge!' Serena shouted desperately. Delphox jumped but was clipped by a bit of water which tripped her up and grazed onto the ground.
'Delphox are you okay?' Serena said with worry in her eyes. Delphox gave a low growl, suggesting she was okay to continue despite the bent stature. 'Use flamethrower!' Serena shouted.
'Hydro pump!' Misty exclaimed. The two moves hurtled towards each other with great speed and collided in the middle. A huge explosion was sent through the battlefield causing more snow to fly around.
'Dragon rage' Misty said, showing the better reflexes Gyrados' move was successful and hit Delphox dead on. She took a good amount of damage and went flying back. She lay weak on the ground but was still conscious. 'Gyrados finish it with Hydro pump!' Misty shouted.

'Shadow ball, Delphox' Serena tried her last attempts to deflect the hydro pump. The two moves met but the hydro pump proved to be stronger and burst through the shadow ball and onto the weakened Delphox. The fire Pokémon howled and flew backwards and hit it's back against a tree and lay down unconscious. To add insult to injury a pile of snow landed on-top of it as it hit the tree.

'Delphox is unable to battle, Gyrados wins! This means Misty is the winner' Clemont announced.

There were cheers of appreciation for Misty but a lot of sympathy for Serena's efforts in the battle. The two trainers made their way to the centre circle.