Chapter 44: Faded

'Miss me?'

Ash looked at the figure in complete disbelief. 'Wha.. But how?' Ash was completely baffled. Everyone else had the same questions and expressions as Giovanni stood there with a knife in his hand. 'Yes why wouldn't it be me? I'm the one in the prophecy remember' Giovanni smirked. Just then a machine was turned on in front of the elevator.

A machine was on the platform which had risen from the ground. 'It's the machine!' Red exclaimed. 'Yes I let poor old Lysandre do all the work for me' Giovanni patted the body of Lysandre with smirk on his face. 'Dad!?' Everyone turned and saw Miette run over to Lysandre's body. 'You old scum! How dare y..' Miette choked as she got stabbed in the chest by Giovanni. Gasps filled the area.

'Stupid girl always got on my nerve!' Giovanni said angrily. 'Well I would make be comfortable to witness this, the power is mine' Giovanni laughed and walked over towards the machine. The machine turned instantly at his direction.

Serena and the others rushed on-top to the ledge next to Ash, Alain and Red. 'Ash! Are you okay?' Serena asked. She then looked over at the machine. It was big and looked strong enough to kill. Serena held Kaylin tightly up against her leg and looked on in worry. 'Ready to fire in 10 seconds..' The machine spoke. 'You must be the one to take the hit' Arceus' words echoed inside of Ash's head. His eyes widened. He looked at Serena then Kaylin.

'5...4...3...2..1' Ash charged across towards the machine. 'Ash!?' Ash heard the screams of his friends as he ran. Just as the beam was released Ash jumped across the face of the scene and took the impact dead on. Ash went flying into the wall with rocks piling over him. 'Successfully completed' the machine spoke before it turned off. Giovanni and the others rushed towards the pile of rocks.

'Ash!?' Serena called out. There was no response for a few seconds but then the rocks burst away and Ash stood there unharmed. 'Ash!' Everyone shouted in joy. 'What but how?' Giovanni looked confused and angry. 'This machine contains all of my powers so why would it hurt me? Your slacking Giovanni' Ash said with arrogance.

Giovanni then grabbed Serena by the hair and pulled the knife at her neck. 'I'm the one that is slacking? Your the one slacking Ketchum..' Giovanni said and gripped Serena tighter. 'Let her go!' Ash's body started to turn red. His eyes turned a dark shade of red. 'Not unless you battle me.. 1v1. Winner will get what they desire..' Giovanni spoke. 'Ash don't do it..' Serena whimpered. 'Shut up!' Giovanni snapped and pulled her again. 'Deal..' Ash said.

Giovanni let go of Serena and pushed her back to Ash. Serena instantly grabbed Ash and hugged onto him tightly. 'Why?' She whimpered. 'You are my life.. I will never let anything hurt you or Kaylin..' Ash said. 'Oh how cute final words before you die.' Giovanni mocked Ash. 'We'll see who's laughing at the end.' Ash said angrily.

Just then Mewtwo landed in front of Giovanni. 'Well looks like my Pokémon has arrived... Who's your pick?' Giovanni said. All eyes were on Ash wanting to know his decision. Ash covered his eyes and thought. 'He is the one.. We are the one..' Ash looked up, 'Greninja let's show our bond at it's highest!' Ash said fiery eyes. 'A very wise decision.. Let's see if it pays off for you.' Giovanni said. He then walked into a clearing and went a few metres away from Ash. 'This is a 1v1 battle, once a Pokémon is unable to battle the match will be determined.. Well that's it battle begin!' Clement shouted.

Ash and Giovanni stood staring at each other both anticipating any first move. 'Greninja use cut!' Ash shouted. (they are still in Ash-Greninja form).

Greninja formed the two sticks from his hands and sped towards Mewtwo. It jumped in the air and lunged at Mewtwo with it's sticks. The legendary Pokemon just disappeared from the spot and appeared a few centimetres away from its original position. Greninja kept swiping but the Mewtwo kept teleporting away.