Chapter Four: Fay

My new record. Four dummies dead in less then a minute. I was very proud of it too.

Just as I finished practicing with my two foot-long knives, the king's younger brother, who became a mercenary known as Bloody-Hand when he didn't become king himself, walked in. "Fay! I have a bigger mission for you. I believe you are finally ready for the biggest one we have."

I cocked my head, "I'm listening."

"I want you to hunt down a man by the name of Keary. He used to train here, but while on a mission, he left, and we haven't been able to track him down ourselves. You've met the man before."

"Yah, I know him. What's in it for me?" I asked. I didn't really like this mercenary guy. He liked to try to control me, and that really annoyed me. But he paid me well, so I stayed.

"What's in it for you is that you won't get a price on your head when you do kill him." The mercenary replied icily.

I smirked, "You're not very intimidating. And I won't do it for you until you start acting like I am not your personal assassin who wants to work for you for free. And until you give me some thing for it, I won't do your dirty work."

"You enjoy your job!" Bloody-Hand exploded in rage, "You enjoy killing people! I am giving you what you enjoy! Isn't that payment enough?"

This happened every time. He tries to convince me that I don't need payment, and I refused until I won out in the end. He never learned. I would never give him any sort of control over me. Ever.

"No. I want enough money to make this mission worth it. Since you trained this man, he's going to be lethal. I know I can handle him, but when I get back, I want something to show for it besides the scars I will probably get. Once I get back, then I will decide how much I should get." This was always the outcome of every mission he sent me to. Well, I went voluntarily when there was money and fun in the adventure.

The man threw his hands in the air in defeat. "Fine! But I will draw the line somewhere!" he said, obviously exasperated. this was probably the funnest part about these arguments; seeing him get really frustrated at me, yet unable to harm me in any way.

"I'll leave tomorrow then. Do you have any ideas as to where Keary might be?" I hoped he had a clue so I wouldn't have to search the land looking for one guy who,I didn't even know that well.

"No. So you'll just have to use your brains to find him," Bloody-Hand growled, trying to control his boiling rage. 

I rolled my eyes, "Whatever. Since you have no information, I want extra payment for this." I walked out, leaving the frustrated mercenary behind me.

Greetings to all those are reading this. :) All the main characters in this story are now introduced. We hope you are enjoying so far. :)

Fay - Aris