Chapter Sixteen: Fay

At least we didn't have to wait until tomorrow. I didn't think I could stand the wait.

Four hours later, Keary and I were ready to go. The sun had dipped below the horizon about a half an hour ago. We mounted our horses and rode quickly to the castle.

When we arrived at the castle, we stayed in the shadows, looking over the landscape.

"Let's hide the horses there," I said, pointing to the edge of the woods that was not far from the back of the castle.

"Indeed." Keary agreed. I galloped back in the woods a ways and headed off in that direction, Keary following behind me.

We reached the edge of the woods and dismounted. I followed Keary's example and tied my horse next to his.

"There is a back door over there. That will be the best way to enter," Keary whispered.

I nodded and led the way to the door. I stopped at the door, trying to figure a way in. I decided to give the only idea I had so far a try.

I knocked softly on the door, and quietly pulled out my knife.

A sleepy guard opened the door. "What do-" I cut him off by placing my hand over his mouth and plunging my knife into him. I looked up to see four guards standing there. They pulled out their swords and advanced. Great. Just what we needed to keep things quiet.

I pulled out my knives and advanced on them. Keary stepped beside me and unsheathed his long knife. I ran at them, but right after the guard swung his sword horizontally, I dropped to the ground, and felt the rush of the man's sword just miss my head. I quickly plunged my knife into his chest and kicked his body towards the other guards, who turned to block their comrade's body that was flying towards them. I saw Keary take the advantage of their distraction, and leap at them. He killed two of them and connected blades with the remaining soldier. I charged the last soldier from his side and and slashed, finishing him off.

"We should get going," I said, biting the inside of my lip.

"I agree. Let's split up now and search quickly." Keary headed left at the nearest hallway, while I continued straight ahead.

I made sure to thoroughly check the rooms that had no one in them. Several of the rooms where servants lay sleeping, I was able to slip in and slide my eyes all around the room, but I never found the ring.

Well, things just a little more interesting. :) We all hope you guys are enjoying it so far.

Fay - Aris