Chapter Forty: Fay

He left again, and didn't even tell me why. Wow. Some partner. Leaves whenever he wants and doesn't even tell me where he's going. I'm kind of frustrated at him for doing that again.

I took deep breaths, trying to calm myself down so I didn't do anything rash, like hurting the prisoners. Again, I started to feel pity for them. They obviously didn't know anything, but... I shook my head to clear my thoughts. Why was I feeling pity for them? It's a rare thing for someone such as me.

I glanced over to where the princess was sitting, the soldier's head resting on her lap. She was caressing his head and it looked like she was on the brink of tears. I felt a twinge of jealousy. I'd never had the privilege of that kind of comfort. I sighed quietly and inspected my knives again. They were razor sharp, but I fetched my whetstone and sharpened them anyway. I needed something to do besides sit and get more jealous of the stupid soldier.

I did not sign up for this. I wanted quick money and lots of action, and this was definitely the opposite of both. The money was not even within my grasp, and I couldn't just get in the castle, steal a lot of money and get out just like that.

I stopped sharpening my knives and started drawing in the dirt with one of them. Suddenly, the soldier, Theo I think, moaned, causing me to jump and whip my blades into a defensive position. I relaxed when I realized it was just him.

"Theo? Can you hear me?" the princess asked desperately, and the only response she got was another moan. Se turned to me, "Please, can you help him?" she begged.

I looked at her uncertainly. "I don't really know how I can help you. The medicine stuff is kind of out of my league."

"Well, you could at least get me a clean wet rag. Preferably warm, but we need a rag now," the princess said.

My purple eyes flashed angrily. "I don't need you telling me what to do. For all I care, your lover can die. I don't care if you're the princess, I will not be told what to do. Especially from a prisoner, who I really don't care a thing about."

The princess swallowed hard. I could tell that she wanted to lash back out at me. "Fine. Would you please get me a wet rag so I can clean his wound?" She ground out.

I smirked, reveling in the fact that I had come out on top on the argument. "I'm almost tempted to say no, but the only reason I'm doing this is because Keary apparently needs him alive." I sighed and stood up, heading towards the back of the cave. I rummaged around until I found a fray cloth. Lucky kids. I walked back over to the water supply and dipped the rag in, squeezing the water out before heading back to the prisoners.

"There you go, your highness," I said sarcastically as I tossed her the rag.

She caught it and glared at me, then returned her attention to the young man.

Again, I felt a small swell of sadness as I wished my childhood could have had at least some love. I sighed quietly and sat back down where I had been previously, and continued drawing in the dirt.

Well, they're kinda okay... for now... Hope you guys are enjoying this story as of yet! Vote and comment, should the mood take you. ;) :)

Fay - Aris