Chapter Forty-Two: Theo

It was Adira that kept me from the darkness. My whole body protested, wanting to give up. But I couldn't. I couldn't leave Adira stuck here. So I forced myself to come back to her. 

At first, the pain was blinding, and I felt my grip slipping. It was as if I was being washed off a rocky cliff and couldn't find my way. But then I felt Adira talking to me, and she became my light. 

It's a curious thing, how those that are dying usually want to leave, ready to be done. But those that are left behind somehow still mourn for the person as if they weren't ready. As if that wasn't the time. 

I finally managed to crack my eyes open, but instantly regretted it. As light shone in, it increased my pain and I let out a long drawn groan.

Minutes later, however, I vaguely regained more of my consciousness, and with it, some clarity. The pain had lessened somewhat, so I tried sitting up. As I tried, though, I realized my hands were still secured behind my back. And when I tried moving, I heard Adira's soft voice in my ear. 

"Just relax, Theo. Please," she whispered. I did as she asked and lowered my head back down onto her lap, staring up at her. Her complexion was pale and she had too many bags under her eyes, but what worried me most was the crusted blood on her left ear. I barely noticed it, but it was visible nonetheless. 

"A-Are..." I struggled to speak, finding my voice unreasonably dry and scratchy. I tried again, not willing to give up, "Are you... okay?" 

"I'm fine. But you aren't," she said back to me, gently stroking my hair.

"We... need to get out of here," I mumbled. 

"I know, but you aren't in any shape to walk."

I ignored her comment. If we had a chance to escape, my injury wouldn't stand in the way. "Where's the m-an?" I asked her, suddenly realizing the absence of our captor. 

"I don't know," Adira said quietly, "he left a little while ago and hasn't come back."

At her words, an idea formed in my head. "This c-could..." I had to stop talking and clear my lungs before continuing, "be our... chance." 

Well, Adira and Theo, all I can say is good luck... 

Theo - Ithildae