17.

I can't believe last night actually happened.

It felt as a distant dream — as if nothing had happened at all — but as soon as I opened my eyes and realized Felix was still holding me in his arms, I knew last night hadn't just been my imagination.

I slowly pushed myself away from him, yawning and looking up at him. He had a small smile on his face. I didn't smile back — not that it mattered, he wouldn't be able to see it anyway.

"Morning," he whispered, glancing at the group below us. I followed his lead and looked down, seeing everyone was still asleep, meaning it was still pretty early in the morning. I probably slept for like 4 hours at most.

"Good morning.." I muttered softly, looking at my dangling feet. I had an extremely anxious feeling in my stomach and I felt the need to puke. But then again, maybe that was just because I hadn't eaten a lot these past few days, but then suddenly ate half a can of beans yesterday.

"So.. What do you think we're gonna do today?" he asked, trying to break the awkward silence. I don't even think it was awkward for him, but for me it sure was.

I just shrugged and looked at everything but him. I felt a whole new flood of anxiety and panic when I thought about last night. I allowed him to lift my mask, why the fuck would I do that?! I felt like such an idiot for kissing him. What if he regretted it? Did I regret it..?

"Are you-" Felix started but I immediately cut him off, not wanting to hear him finish his sentence. I knew he was going to ask me if I was okay and I didn't really have an answer to that at the moment.

"I'm going back down. They'll wake up soon," I spoke quickly as I pushed myself from the branch, safely landing on the ground below. I didn't wait to see if he followed me, quickly marching over to the others and letting out a deep sigh. I was overreacting; acting like some sort of teenage girl with a crush. I didn't care though, I just wanted to forget about everything for now.

I sighed in relief when Russ groaned and slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes. I chuckled when I saw his wild hair and he looked at me, giving me a playful glare.

"I'm beautiful, stop laughing," he joked and I shook my head, sitting down next to him. I guess my plan for today was to avoid Felix as much as possible until I had organised all of my thoughts. Yup, that was a great plan..

-

Walking through a forest for hours on end seemed to have become our standard routine — wake up, eat something, walk until we had absolutely no energy left, eat again and sleep. It started to get boring, but I guess it was better than to be in dangerous situations the whole time.

I walked next to Russ while he was talking to me about how he wanted to be a detective when he was younger. I smiled as he went on about investigating the most random shit in the town he grew up in. It was just so hard to imagine him as a police investigator or something like that, but it was funny to listen to his stories about tracking down stuff his parents hid around town to send him on a scavenger's hunt. He talked about his parents with such adoration, but it was also a sad topic to be talking about.

I still had Scott's backpack — the one I took when I wanted to leave the group — but he hadn't complained to me about it so far, so I'm guessing I could keep it; he had found another one a couple of days ago anyway. He was suddenly a lot nicer to me, but I'm guessing it was just because I saved his life back in the house. If I hadn't shown up, Scott would have burned to death — which was quite a terrifying thing to think about — so I assumed he was just thankful.

"W-What's that?" I suddenly heard Krism's voice and I turned away from Russ, seeing the group had stopped walking and were all looking at a clearing in front of us. The sun was already setting and it wouldn't take too long to turn completely dark. I frowned and walked forward, softly pushing Scott to the side to be able to see what they were looking at.