Chapter 44

ROSE

I paced back and forth in the safe room, my nerves making me more and more anxious as time passed. The fighting above hasn't stopped, it has continued to grow louder. I wish I could sit still and comfort the children, some of whom have started to cry, but I just couldn't.

I kept a hand on my lower stomach, listening to the continuous beating of my child's heart. "It's all okay, we'll be safe, they won't get to us." I said quietly to myself. My heart was about to beat out of my chest, it was hammering so hard.

I huge crashing sound from the above floor had me stop dead in my tracks. I can't stay in here anymore. The walls were starting to feel like they were closing in on me as my breathing grew heavier. "It's okay, it'll be okay." I whispered to myself again. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block out the noise of the fighting and screaming from upstairs.

I know I should be stronger, I am the future Luna of this pack, I need to be stronger than this. But it's not just my life anymore. All my emotions were heightened because of the life growing inside me. I knew I needed to get out there and help save my pack but I also needed to stay in here and guarantee the safety of my baby.

When I heard the heavy basement door open every single muscle in my body tensed up. I sent a panicked look to Laila who I saw looked just as panicked as I did.

I bent down closer to Laila, "I need to go out there and see who it is. Make sure everyone stays silent and lock the door behind me. None of you all are getting hurt, I promise." I whispered.

"Please be careful, Rose." Laila pleaded, grabbing my hand and squeezing it. I nodded and stood up.

I took a deep breath and listened intently to my baby's heartbeat, it's amazing how well it calmed me. I quietly unlocked the door and opened it, quickly looking out, I didn't see anyone. As I stepped out, Laila shut the door behind me and I heard the faint click of the lock.

Whoever opened the basement door was walking slowly down the stairs. I stood to the side, out of their sight. I heard about three other people behind the first person. Each step was slow and steady. Whoever they were, they weren't a part of my pack. I lifted my nose and smelled the air, thanking God for my new strong sense of smell.

Once I caught their scent my heart dropped to my stomach. Sam was here and there were three other hunters with him. Oh no, this is not going to end well.

"Roselyn, honey, where are you?" Sam taunted me. He had made it all the way down the stairs and was scanning the dimly lit room. Once his gaze met mine he stopped head in his tracks.

"Oh there you are, what are you doing down here?" He asked, a smirk playing on the corners of his lips. "Are you too much of a coward to help defend your new pack like your brothers and sisters are doing? I'm ashamed of you." She shook his head in mock disappointment,

I kept my mouth shut; I had nothing to say to this poor excuse of a man. "Oh you're not going to talk? That's okay. Women are better when they stay quiet anyway." He shrugged slowly walking towards me. He was wearing a black shirt, jeans, black boots and a belt which I took note of having a large knife and handgun attached to it.

"Your poor mate is probably realizing by now that he'd made a huge mistake in leaving your side. It was too easy, though, I knew exactly what you were planning from the beginning. Do you not think I had every place bugged? I knew Jed's plan to help you escape from the first day. It was more like a test really, to see if you were willing to do whatever it took to get out. Congratulations, you passed." He said his smirk growing more prominent on his face.

Still I said nothing; it didn't really surprise me that he knew about my plan. I tightened my grip on my stomach as Sam came closer.

"Even though you passed that test, I still can't trust you. I finally see what I did wrong when raising my children," he said finally about a foot away from me. 'Raising his children? He never raised us. What the fuck is wrong with this man?' I thought angrily. "I let you have too much freedom. I'll have to do better next time." He said looking thoughtfully off to the side.