Chapter 40

"Why do you look so worried?" I asked my mate as we sat in our room, waiting for the pack doctor to arrive.

Blake hasn't said a word since we walked into his room. "We're fighting tomorrow. We leave at noon." He said in a low voice, starring at my hand he was currently holding, playing with my fingers.

I slowly nodded my head, "Yes, I thought we went over this earlier? You know, with the entire pack and everything?"

What's his point?

"If you're pregnant, you have to stay here with the others. I will not allow you to go with us." He said sternly as he looked in my eyes.

I was about to retort when he cut me off.

"Please don't argue with me, Rose." He sounded so tired. "You know exactly why I can't let you go." When he saw my confused face he sighed and explained further. "Pregnant Werewolf's can't shift very often depending on how far along they are. Their wolf side is protecting the baby and all the internal shifting could possibly hurt the baby." He explained.

I could feel my lips making a perfect 'O' shape as I realized. I had totally forgotten about that part. As I thought back to the past day- heck the whole week- I haven't felt the need to shift like most Werewolves.

"How long does it take for your wolf to realize you're pregnant?" I asked.

"About a month actually. The wolf side doesn't sense it until then partially because it would be too small for it to be in danger if you were to shift, and because it wouldn't have a heart beat or scent yet." He explained.

I nodded my head, understanding what he was telling me. "Okay." He looked at me confused for a minute. "I'll stay here. It would be stupid and careless of me to go and endanger our child." I said softly, placing my hand over my stomach.

Blake beamed at me and leaned down, giving me a passionate kiss. "I love you. Thank you so much." He whispered against my lips.

"I love you too," I laughed.

After a while there was a soft tap on our door. "Come in." Blake said loudly and confidently.

"Hello, Blake." The pack doctor nodded respectively towards him.

Blake nodded back, "Hello, Kelly" he said smoothly.

"Hello again." I said from beside Blake, I didn't get a good look at her when she helped clean up my would when I came home.

Her hair was dark with a few grey strands that was about shoulder length, she looked aged but very beautiful. Her skin was an olive tone and she stood about two inches taller than me. Let's face it, everyone is taller than me.

She gave me a warm smile in which I returned. "So, Alpha Joseph tells me you guys suspect that there's a bun in the oven?" She said cheerfully.

"Uh, yeah we think so." I stated looking uncertainty at Blake.

"Well then let's see for sure, shall we?" she said as she walked back out into the hallway.

"Should we follow her?" I asked Blake lowly. He just shrugged. Gee, thanks man. I internally grumbled.

I was about to follow her when she came back through the door, pushing a huge cart with a computer screen on it as well as some type of machine.

After Kelly had it all plugged in and turned on she looked at us expectantly. "Well, lay down on the bed." She said as if I should have already of been there.

I quickly complied and laid down. "We're going to do an ultrasound, I personally think it's more accurate than a pee test and I don't have to worry about over-protective males yelling at me over sticking their mate with a tiny needle to do a blood test." She said, laughing. She frowned slightly and shook her head, "Nope, never doing a blood test again." She mumbled as she turned to the machine.

I looked at Blake questioningly and he just shook his head. 'She's weird' he mouthed and I couldn't help but giggle.

"I know you're talking about me, Blake. Your mother would be ashamed." She shook her head and I laughed even louder. She's great.

Well maybe you think so, my wolf stated grumpily.

You're just pissed because she's going to touch my belly, get over it. I rolled my eyes.

Correction, OUR belly. She snapped but I just ignored her.

"Okay, lift up your shirt for me." She ordered as she squeezed the jelly-like substance on my belly, I crinkled my nose. It was surprisingly warm.

I heard Kelly laughing a little at my face. "Literally everyone makes that face when they realize it's warm instead of cold." I cracked a smile, I can't help but love her.

Blake squeezed my hand lightly as Kelly moved the wand around my stomach. She had the monitor faced away from us, so we couldn't see anything that was going on.

"Well?" Blake asked impatiently. "What do you see?"

I looked to Kelly and saw her eyes moving rapidly around the screen. "Well..." she drug out with a sly smile on her face. She knew she was torturing us with the suspense. Especially Blake.

"It looks like..." she paused yet again, looking at us with humor in her eyes.

I was getting slightly annoyed, c'mon man.

"I hope you guys have thought about names, because it looks like you're pregnant!" Kelly said enthusiastically.

Oh. My. God. I'm going to be a mother... I thought and I could feel a huge smile spreading across my face.

I looked over to Blake and he had tears in his eyes. "Oh my gosh, are you crying?" I laughed but I knew I shouldn't judge, I could feel waterworks of my own coming on.

Blake pulled me off the bed and into his arms, turning us around the room. "I'm going to be a dad!" he yelled and I'm sure the whole state of New Mexico could hear him.

I kissed him as joyful tears ran down my face. Everything is perfect.