Chapter Twelve

Maika

I board the bus at the stop near my house to head downtown. I would've taken my bike but per doctor's orders, I'll try taking it easy from here on out. Once I reach my stop, I hop off of the bus and make my way to the park where we decided to meet.

"Hey, Kioshi!" I call out when I see him.

"Hey, Maika," Kioshi replies. He wears an oversized, navy, three-quartered sleeved shirt that's loosely tucked into his black pants. His burgundy hair is neatly brushed and his sapphire eyes smile along with his lips.

"Sorry I'm late," I apologize.

"It's fine. I just got here too," He assures me. We then walk to a nearby shop and go inside.

"I'll have a brown sugar milk tea, please," I tell the barista.

"Coconut milk tea for me," Kioshi adds.

The barisya nods and makes our drinks. "Your total is 650 yen,"

I start to pull out my wallet when Kioshi stops me. "It's fine, I'll pay!" He offers cheerfully smiles and pays the cashier. Was he always this generous

"Thank you, come again!" The cashier says and we walk out.

"Thanks for paying, I'll pay you back!"

"It's no problem. I asked you to hang out so I should treat you,"

We walk to a nearby park and sit down on a bench. Little kids play sports and couples walk around the fountain.

"So what's new with you? We haven't talked for so long," I ask. "I didn't even know you went to Sumiya until last week,"

"I know, ever since you moved we haven't seen each other. I was surprised to hear that we went to the same school, what are the odds? But not much has changed. I got into sports though like soccer and basketball." He answers and takes a sip of his drink.

"Really? I can't picture you playing sports. You used to be such a nerd," I tease and poke his arm while recalling the past.

"Ugh, don't bring that up. I was actually almost chosen to be team captain for the soccer team but someone else was chosen."

"Watari?"

"Yeah, he's really good, and we're actually friends," He says.

"Never expected that you would be friends. He's actually my neighbor, we've been friends for ages,"

"Really?"

"Yeah," I respond.

"So, what about you?" Kioshi inquires. "Didn't you just compete in a dance contest? How'd that turn out?"

"It was fine, I won first," I explain and then take a sip.

"That's great, Congratulations! Are you happy? It seems like you're unsatisfied..."

"I am happy! I just don't want to sound like I'm boasting about myself," And I'd rather not talk about it, it just reminds me of the trip to Italy that I'll be missing. "I'm gonna throw this out," I say after I finish my boba.

"I'm done too," We both stand up and walk to the trash. After I throw the cup in the trash, we start to walk around the fountain.

"Look out!!" I hear a voice yell. I look to see what's happening and I see a football flying through the air towards my face.

Kioshi quickly catches the ball with one hand before it collides into my face. "Here, kid," He hands the kid the football and thanks Kioshi.

"Woah, that was so cool, mister!" The kid compliments and Kioshi laughs.