035

Maika

Days pass by as I help Ayako with her Gala performance. The song she chose is called "Libertango" written by Astor Piazzolla, which seems kinda odd to me. When I questioned why she picked that song instead of a professional ballet dance like Swan Lake or The Nutcracker, she replied by saying: "I don't want to be typical if I'm the only one dancing!! Being original is better than blending in with everyone else. When you performed months ago, you stood out by picking a completely different song than the rest, and you choreographed your own dance! I want to be like you, I want to be unique from the rest and I want people to remember me always, like how I'll always remember you."

Everyday after school, I go to Ayako's place and we work on her performance until the evening. Even though she was amazing before, Ayako still impresses me with her skill. Ayako still dances with her eyes closed and I asked her why.

"Why I dance with my eyes closed?" She repeats. "When I open my eyes, I move like a robot; being controlled but stiff at the same time. What changes when I close my eyes though is that the movements flow together smoothly." Ayako explains.

"I know because I've taken videos of the same dances of me with my eyes open and closed then watched them at the same time. My dancing was much better with my eyes closed rather than open so that's what I do now."

"Let's see you dance with your eyes open, just once."

"Really...?"

"Yeah, just for fun, I won't judge."

She hesitates for a moment then agrees. When we turn on the song, she keeps her eyes open and begins. Ayako was right, she doesn't have the same flow as she does with her eyes closed. She looks so concentrated and she's getting everything right, but it doesn't look like her style.

"See, it's not good," She says when the music stops.

"Not that it's 'not good', it's just not your style." I comment. "Let's take a break for now; wanna go get bubble tea?" I ask.

"Sure," Ayako heads to her room and changes into casual clothes as I clean up. Ten minutes later, we leave the grounds of her home and head down to a bubble tea shop.

"So, do you feel comfortable with the choreography?" I ask after we sit down.

"I don't really want to talk about dance right now, this is our break," Ayako says.

"Okay, then what do you want to talk about?" I question and take a sip of my drink.

"I want to get to know you. What are your interests outside of dance, relationships, etc. The dance part of you is the only side I know,"

"Well, I live with my mom but she's gone all the time so I have to raise myself. When I was younger I played the cello and piano but I gave it up for dance, and yeah that's pretty much it," I explain vaguely.

"What about that guy?"

"Watari?"

"Yeah him. You say that you're not dating but I sense that's not what you want,"

She can read people well... Or maybe I'm just an open book.

"I'm not gonna lie, I do like him.. but Watari is my neighbor and my best friend... Besides, he likes my best friend so I don't really have a chance." I sigh and stir the bubble tea with my straw.

"Don't say that. I can tell by the way he looks at you. When I first met you, he looked at you with love and care, it wasn't the kind of look that you don't just give a friend, but to someone who you have deep feelings for."

♪ ♪ ♪

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Originally I was going to update on Christmas Eve where I am but I was really busy today so I finished writing this chapter after midnight and now it's Christmas~~

I'll update a couple more chapters as my gift so yeah, you're welcome~

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season and thank you for reading!!

Rachel✍🎄