067

Watari

'Akiyama Maika
July 17, 2001 to April 4, 2016
A beloved daughter and friend.'

Kousei, Tsubaki, and I stand in front of Maika's grave in silence and set our flowers down. Tsubaki tears up and sobs into Kousei's shoulder and he comforts her. Tears brim in my eyes but I wipe them away and sniffle.

Why did she end up like this?

Why did they both leave?

The three of us part our ways as we walk home, we need to be alone now. As I walk towards my door, I hear a car door closing.

"Watari,"

"Oh, hello Ms. Akiyama." I greet Maika's mom. She runs over to my house from her driveway and then stops.

"I know that this is really painful and difficult to handle, but Maika wanted you to have this," She hands me a CD case with a disc inside. "Please watch it." She walks away back to her own home and I go inside mine.

I insert the disc into the DVD player in the living room and sit on the couch. Maika's face comes onto the screen and she sits in her room.

"Hi, Watari! It feels kinda weird not saying this to you in person and talking to a camera when you live right next door," She chuckles and I clench my fists.

"Anyways, tomorrow is my surgery, and as silly as it sounds I'm scared to face you. I guess that's why I'm doing this instead. When we were younger and I first met you, I was unable to approach you, although I liked you. I looked other places because of my fear that you would reject me. I thought we were parallel lines and we would never come together but I was wrong. I told myself when I was younger, 'You have to tell Watari these things sooner or later, you have to approach him.'"

She pauses. "If only I ignored my childish thoughts and became an adult, I would've said something sooner. I love you Watari. I always have."

My eyes widen and I breathe in to calm myself. "I was so afraid of falling in love because I thought I would get hurt, but instead with the short time we had, you held my hand in this cruel world."

"Promise me that you won't change, that you'll still smile, and that you'll move on without me. You'll learn to live without me."

♪ ♪ ♪

The end.

Comment to rant about your grief or how you felt about the book.

Vote if you enjoyed.

Leave without doing anything, no hard feelings if you do :')

But thank you for reading this story and watching me grow as an author!

Did you think that was the end?

There's so much more that will happen.

Just wait.

Rachel♡