16 | Slow Dancing

It was lunchtime and the whole cafeteria was in chaos with all the talk about prom. Honestly, it was driving you crazy just hearing the word. People really don't know when to shut up. You sat down at your usual spot with your friends and dug out the dress design you had drawn yesterday from your bag. Sans glanced over at you with a curious look and watched as you pulled out a sheet of paper. "what's that?" You looked over at him. "Oh, uh, just something I drew." "can i see?" You bit your lip in hesitation before passing him the paper. He looked at it while you told him that you had just mindlessly drawn that by accident.

"it's really good, it'll look pretty on you." He said, before his eye sockets widened and his face tinted blue. "u-um, just saying that as a compliment of course," He explained quickly which made you amused. You decided to tease him a bit and rested your elbows on the table. "Does little ol' Sansy like a certain someone~" He glared at you but you could tell he didn't really mean it. "oh shut up."

The others seemed to pick up on your conversation with Sans and soon Mettaton was butting in. "Sans likes someone?" He asked, a mischievous glint in his robotic eye. Sans let out a groan and handed back your paper before running a hand over his face. "no, i don't." You let out a quiet and sarcastic 'mm-hmm' that only Sans could hear. He glared at you again but you just gave him an innocent smile before stuffing your drawing in Mettaton's face. "Hey Metta, could you maybe possibly help me with something?" You asked hopefully and watched as he looked at your drawing. He grinned widely and looked at you. "Darling this is beautiful! It's for prom, isn't it? Oh the person you're going with will be so lucky to have you as their date!"

You felt your face get warmer. "Date? Oh, I'm not going with anyone." Mettaton stared at you. "But darling--" You held up a finger. "No buts, I've decided that I just wanna go with friends and have a good time." You said, earning a defeated sigh from Mettaton. "Usually, I would press you harder on going with someone but I guess I'll make an exception just this once. And the dress will be finished Friday by the way," You gave him a grateful smile before Undyne started up a new conversation.

"Anyways, I hear that Napstabot is gonna be the DJ at the dance, isn't that awesome!" He was? You knew how nervous he was when he had to socialize but then you remembered how in control he was when he was making music for everyone to enjoy. You smiled at Undyne and took a bite of your sandwich. "That's great! He makes really good music too." Papyrus gave you a confused look. "HOW DO YOU KNOW? HE ONLY MAKES MUSUC AT THE CLUB." Shit. Your such an idiot. You smiled nervously and quickly thought of an excuse. "The music is so loud from the club that I can hear it from my apartment, you've also mentioned before that Napstabot goes there every night. His music sounds really good." You lied, a wave of relief going through you as you saw everyone's expressions. They bought it, even Sans did too.

The bell rang and you jumped a bit from it, Frisk snickering at you. Everyone got up and threw away their trash before heading back to their classes. Letting out a groan, you rubbed your neck where the bruise was before hurrying off to your next class.

• • •

You stumbled into a wall after turning a corner, smacking your face against the hard brick building. "OW! WHAT THE--" You rubbed your head painfully as you mentally shot curses at the wall that even a sailor would be surprised by your language. You continued on your way to the dance club, tightening your mask and smoothing down your white hair before pushing the large doors open. Monsters and humans were dancing out in the middle of the room with smiles on their faces and a cheerful aura throughout the room. In here, everyone felt like family. Then you thought of Sans. You did not want to be family with him. If you did, then you wouldn't be able to--stop that.