Chapter 19- The Letter

Emerald’s POV

I stood there awkwardly as she smiled sweetly at me. I didn’t know what I was supposed to do. Was I supposed to greet her politely or just shut the door to her smiling face?

“Well aren’t you going to let me in Emerald?” She asked so kindly that I grew even more suspicious of her actions. “What are you doing here?” I went straight to the point. I didn’t even bother making it polite because she was never polite to me so why should I be?

Her smile was quickly replaced by a frown. “What happened Emerald? I thought we were friends now.” She said sadly. I was taken aback from her words.

Us? Friends? How?

“Excuse me?” I tried to hide the anger from my voice. “Remember?” She sighed, slumping a bit. I shook my head and was about to close the door on her when she stuck out her foot and managed to stop me from closing the door on her. I scowled at her before opening the door just a tiny bit again.

“Why are you here?” I said through gritted teeth. She frowned and sighed. “Niall sent me to babysit you Emerald.” She said calmly. I was taken aback from her words. I thought she would do something else that would probably make me cry, but she didn’t.

Wait Niall?

“Niall?” I asked, surprised. “Yes Niall. He called me and he said you were all alone in this big house of yours so I volunteered to be a companion.” She shrugged merrily. I stared at her for a long while. Her attire has changed a lot since I last saw her.

She doesn’t wear the shortest shorts or a tank top that only covers her chest area; she is now wearing a pretty yellow sundress that stops just below her knee. She’s not covered in make-up anymore. To be honest, I like her style way better now and she honestly looks better without all those make up on her face.

“Um come in.” I squeaked. I knew I was going to regret this choice but I’m very curious about what happened to Natalie and how did her and Niall stay in touch.

“If you need me, I’ll be in my room.” I breathed out before sprinting to the stair case to avoid further conversation with her but I was too slow. She called out my name and being the polite person I am, I stopped and spun around to look at her.

“I’m sorry for everything I’ve done to you.” She said sincerely. “I-I was just jealous and I want you to know that I never really wanted to hurt you. You’re honestly are one of the nicest kids I know.” She continued. I was shocked not expecting to hear that from her.

“I uh um…” I tried to find the right words to say. What are you supposed to say to a person who you hated but they changed and is saying sorry to you?

In the end, I decided to simply smile at her and continue walking to my room. I heard her sigh in relief before I reached the last step of the stair case.

I opened up my door and quickly closed it behind me. Alex was barking at me and I threw him his chew toy before slumping on my bed.

A lot of thoughts are roaming around my brain. A lot of questions want to be answered immediately. Like where is Danielle? Why is Natalie suddenly all friendly? Why did Niall call her and not anyone else?

Grabbing a piece of paper and my favorite pen, I wrote down ‘To do list’ for the title and decorated it a bit with hearts and swirls. I wrote down number one and began on scribbling down questions and things I want to do within this week.

1.       Find out what is going on about Danielle.

2.       Visit Hailey and Mia (A/N if you guys don’t remember, they’re Emerald’s best friends)