Chapter 40.

+Ed's POV+

I've been waiting for a few hours for Jade and Oliver, they should have been here a while ago. The more time Meredith has alone, the more time she has to think about all the reasons to be sad.

I sigh as I pass through a hall on the way back to Meredith's room, I got myself some tea, and a nice coffee for her. I'm always a tea guy, but she's a coffee girl.

As I turn the last corner before her room, I hear someone's distinct voice from behind me. "Ed," I turn and meet Oliver and Jade with a basket of chocolates, a big teddy bear, and a heart shaped balloon that reads 'Get Well Soon!'. I chuckle to myself before giving them both a hug, careful not to spill our drinks. "How is she?"

"She's okay. She's honestly really heartbroken about the not dancing again, though. Try not to bring that up." I reply, trying not to be too loud as we're right outside her room and the door's open. Jade pushes past me and goes in her room with a loud entrance. I follow behind her and instantly see Meredith's face light up making me smile.

"Mere, Ed told us what happened. How are you feeling?" Jade asks even though we had just talked about it in the hall. It's always better to hear it from the person.

"I'm alright, Ed's been keeping me happy." She says making a tension release in my back. I've been pretty stressed because I knew she wasn't too happy. I don't blame her though, she's trying her hardest and she must be in a lot of pain with her leg. "Yeah, tomorrow morning I'm going into surgery."

"That's why we brought you chocolate." Oli speaks making her giggle a little.

"Thanks, guys. You're so sweet." She says giving me a little peck on the cheek before stuffing a truffle in her mouth.

After about an hour of friendly conversation, Jade and Oliver leave. In barely any time, Meredith ends up falling asleep and I follow not long after.

------------------------------------------------------

"Excuse me, Miss." A voice says pulling me out of my sleep. I open my eyes to see a nurse helping Meredith out of the bed that we were both sleeping in. "We have to prep you for surgery, it's in thirty minutes." She says making me realize that we had slept through the whole night.

I nod and begin to pull into a full sitting position which finishes waking Ed up. Ed and the Nurse both help lift me into a wheelchair before the nurse pushes me through the room. "Mr. Sheeran, you can't come in the surgery room so you may either wait in this room or in the waiting room. She may leave when she gets out of surgery."

"I'll just wait in the waiting room then." He replies. We all move down the hall to the surgery wing, once we arrive, Ed pauses to be able to talk to me.

"I know you're scared of needles, but you'll be put under and won't feel anything." He says making some of my everlasting nerves ease. I try to send him a reassuring smile, but fail. "I love you, Meredith."

"I love you too, Teddy." I speak for the first time today before the nurse continues to push me through the large double doors. My view of Ed vanishes as the doors close behind us and I'm pushed into yet another room. However, this one is much darker, with large, intimidating lights. At least three people stand on either side of the bed I'm to be put on.

As I'm helped up onto the bed, I begin to panic. Surgery is scary no matter how serious it might be, not to mention so many unfamiliar people, scary lights, even scarier tools. My mind won't even begin to stop racing as I try to steady my breathing.

"Alright, Meredith, I'm going to put this mask on your face and you'll have to follow my breathing. Ready?" A man with a semi-soothing voice speaks holding up to mask to show me. It's the one that will put me to sleep. I nod my head.

He continues to move it to cover my mouth and nose and a funny smell enters my nose. "Breathe in, deep. Then out, deep."

Ed's POV

It seems as though a day passes, but it's actually only three hours before the doors open again and two nurses come pushing Meredith out in a wheelchair. "Surgery went perfectly! She can leave now. You'll have to pick up her medication from a pharmacy tomorrow morning." One speaks but all my focus is on Meredith. It's hard to tell if she's just sitting with her eyes closed or if she's actually asleep.

I quickly sign some papers and I pull her through the doors of the hospital. Jade and Oliver had just arrived to bring us home. We all help Meredith into the backseat and I sit next to her as Oliver folds the wheelchair up and places it in the trunk.

Jade and Meredith speak the whole ride home just about wedding plans, but my focus is solely on Meredith's perfect brown curls resting on my chest.

Before I met Meredith, my only motives where smoking, singing, and friends; now its her, my future family, friends, and my career. I don't think there was anything wrong with me before, but now I feel as if I have more of a purpose and like there's a clearer path rather then the unknown.

I still smoke a little weed here and there but only if Meredith's down for it as well. I've been drinking much less, and my liver owes it all to my angle.

The day I marry her will be the day my new life starts.

-------------------------------------------------

A/N Before I didn't wanna put weed in the book because idk if you guys are super against it or not but I've been missing Ed since he's been gone and he smokes all the time so I'm adding it in because it's more like him in real life.

Love you all.   -Hadleyxx