Chapter 4

Woman in robe took Sophie, Victor and several children in local orphanage named after Lazarus. The rest of the kidnapped were sent to the local coaching houses.

At the entrance of the monastery Sophie and her companions met a grim guard, who looked at them as if nothing would give him greater pleasure than to kill them all with his own hands. But Sophie was not worried about his view and not even about a dog on the chain. Thoughts about a huge cast gates and thick stone walls, stretching along the entire monastery, full her mind. If they were locked up in a shelter, then they would not be able to get over this fence.

Sophie carefully avoided looking at the monastery until it closed her full view, and when escape the fact of its presence became impossible, Sophie finally looked up.

A huge white stone building caught her up. High ceilings and windows gave a feeling only of a locked space which caused a surge of suffocation, and sweet smell of flowers caused nausea. And here she had to live up to seventeen, if she failed to find a way to run.

Victor touched her hand lightly, putting her out of dreaminess. All of them went to the wide stone stairs behind a woman in a cassock, introduced herself as a sister Augustine, and then they finally came to the courtyard of the monastery, where a crowd of children from five to sixteen years were waiting for them yet. Sophie could only look at their huge eyes, looking at the world with fear and distrust, as if waiting for the hidden threat.

Sister Augustine presented Sophie and the others to children. And then she turned to the newcomers:

'Right wing is for boys, left for girls. Save your God, to go to somewhere you are not supposed to be. Anyone who has not reached seventeen must attend evening school and at the end of each trimester should pass two exams in the chosen subjects. After reaching seventeen, you can no longer live in the monastery of Lazarus, but must attend night school until you pass your exams.'

For almost a year, Sophie breathed.

'Each wing' continued sister Augustine, 'has its own prefect. Michael,' woman beckoned to whitish boy who came forward and made an awkward bow. 'Is a boys prefect. Veronica is responsible for the girls.'

A red-haired girl with short hair strode forward. She did not bow, but gave hostile look to Sophie and other new girl.

'You can address all your questions them. They also will coordinate first few months of your life here...'

From expression on Veronica's face Sophie came with conclusion that Veronica was not enthusiastic about this prospect, but said nothing.

'Your prefects will tell you everything else. And now you can break up,' there were only Sister Augustine's words before she disappeared behind one of the corners.

Children unhappily began to disperse in different directions.

Veronica nodded Sophie and another new little girl not older than ten, who Sister Augustine introduced as Mary, to follow her. But Mary rushed to his brother, who picked her up in his arms and whispered something in her ear. Then wiping the tears from her face, the girl went to Veronica. Sophie and Victor only exchanged glances before Sophie followed Veronica.

Even without looking at them, Veronica began in a quiet but authoritative voice.

'As long as you live here you will assign for the work. Children under twelve years work only in the monastery. And you,' she finally turned to Sophie. 'Hostess of kitchen asked for you,' on her face an evil grin appeared, the meaning Sophie did not quite understand. 'For each violation of the rules your name will get in the goblet for each violation.'