26

Today, Tris will be transferred to the hospital in Millenium. That same hospital was my residence a week ago. Now I'll be the one sitting next to the hospital bed in an uncomfortable chair.

Because Tris did not want to eat the fruit yoghurt, they gave her juice. Orange juice. She liked it and wanted to drink the whole pack but the doctor didn't let her.

When I get back from work, the doctors are already busy to get Tris one another bed that can be taken in the truck. She can't walk to the truck. If her hands are already shaking this much, she would never be able to keep herself up straight with legs shaking at least as much. I don't mind. This way I'm sure she won't fall.

"Tobias!" Tris calls out in a whisper. My name is one of the few things she can say and she always says it soft, but I really don't care about that. She is smart enough to find her way to get what she wants without talking.

"Hey Tris," I say and I press a kiss to her cheek. "Ready to go to Chicago?"

She nods excited.

I walk next to her when we go to the truck. There are no ambulances here, so we had to be satisfied with a truck and some improvisation.

At the entrance of the hospital is a doctor, waiting for us. Carefully, the doctors from the Bureau get the bed out of the truck. The Millenium doctor walks over to us.

"Doctor Eastwood," I say surprised.

"Mister Eaton," he greets. "Didn't think I would see you again this fast. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing great."

"You look better. Much better."

"I'm hearing that a lot," I say. "It's her fault."

I point at Tris who gets rolled to us. Eastwood looks at her and his eyes seem to fall out of their sockets.

"Tris Prior?" he asks surprised.

"In the flesh," I answer. "Tris, this is Doctor Eastwood. He was my doctor when I got hit by those busses."

Tris extends a shaking hand to him. He shakes it.

"Welcome," he says. "Welcome back in Chicago."

Tris smiles.

Eastwood brings us to the room in which I spent several days. I ask Tris if she minds if I let Evelyn come over. It's horrible she didn't believe me when I told her Tris is alive. It is a logical reaction, but no fun. I tell her to come to my old hospital room. I'm sure she'll be able to find it.

Fifteen minutes later someone knocks the door.

"Come in!" I call and the door opens. Evelyn walks in. "Hi, Mom."

"Tobias! I haven't seen you in forever. Where were you?"

"At the Bureau," I answer.

"You're crazy, you know that. I think that coma had some side effects on you," she says. I raise an eyebrow and shift a little, so she has a clear view on the bed.

"Who's that?" she asks. She walks over to the bed. With big eyes she stares at Tris. "Tobias, could you please hit me?"

"No," I say. "I would never do that."

I would never do things Marcus could've done.

"Then how can I be sure this is real?"

"By listening to your son when he says this is real?" I suggest. Evelyn looks at me, shaking her head.

"Tris," she says then and she looks at her.

"E...lyn," tries Tris.

"Tris, I have made a promise I have to keep," says Evelyn. I look at her, frowning. "A promise I made to Tobias. He asked me not too long ago what I would say to you when I would meet you."

"I never mentioned the word promise back then, Mom," I interrupt.

"But if you ask me what I would do and then I don't do what I said I would, it still feels like breaking a promise," she says and she turns back to Tris. "Tris, thank you for changing my son. He's become a beautiful man."

"Hey, you didn't say that last time."

Tris shakes her head.

"What's wrong, Tris?" I ask. She shakes her head again.

Evelyn grabs my arm and pulls me to the far corner of the room. She keeps her eyes on Tris the whole time.

When I'm presses against the wall she lets go of me and looks at me.