39

Today is the day. I've been looking forward this day for so long now, and finally it's there. I couldn't sleep last night. Christina had taken Tris away – bad luck to see each other the day before the wedding, or something like that – and I was so nervous. So now it's seven in the morning and I'm already tired, but at the same time I'm buzzing with energy. It's hard to explain.

Zeke came over early in the morning to get me ready. It sounds like a thing Christina would do – and probably is doing, but then with Tris. I told him that, but he ignored me and started getting my tux.

"Seriously, Zeke. If you're going to do one more thing like that I'm going to call you Christina for the rest of my life."

"I just want the wedding of my best friend to be perfect, is that illegal?"

"In the way you're doing, yes. But fine, go ahead. But then you have to promise me to wear lipstick the rest of the day."

Zeke looks at me for a second, and in that second I think he might concede. But then he shrugs and says, "Fine. Anything for my best friend."

And I groan, because it makes him sound even more like a girl.

"Come on, Four, we don't have time to complain about things like this. So get your lazy ass out of that bed and put this on."

I sigh. I should've known better than to think he would concede. I get up and walk to the bathroom, because I agree with a part of what Zeke said; I need to look good on my wedding.

I wonder if Tris is thinking about me now, like I'm thinking about her. Caleb is going to walk her down the isle, because her dad can't. It isn't the same, but I think it will do.

"Four, you don't have time to stare at your incredible reflection in the mirror right now," says Zeke from behind the door.

I'm brought back to reality and put on my tux. Time to go to Abnegation headquarters.

+ + +

I'm starting to get more nervous. My hands start to tremble and suddenly I know how Tris feels. Not being able to stop it is quite frustrating.

I'm standing in front of the people we invited in the headquarters of what used to be Abnegation. Tris isn't here yet. I hope it's just because Christina schedule didn't fit with ours. But I'm afraid this is just a coward's way of calling off a wedding. But then I think about my brave Tris and I realize she wouldn't do that this way.

I want to pace back and forth, but I can't do that in front of these people. I need to appear strong and like a stranger to fear, though I know I'm anything but strong, anything but a stranger to fear.

After agonizing minutes, the doors at the end of the isle open and Tris walks in, with Caleb next to her. She looks so beautiful, so stunning, so indescribable.

Tears sting my eyes, but I push them back, not wanting to show weakness.

Tris has her arm hooked around Caleb's. First I think it's just because that's how it's supposed to go, but when they're halfway the isle I see that Tris is leaning heavily on Caleb. The tremble I was dealing with is nothing compared to the tremble in her legs and hands. It's taking her everything not to fall right now.

I want to run over to her and hold her and tell her everything is going to be fine, that she doesn't need to be this nervous. But when I'm about to move, she makes eye contact with me and she makes clear I don't have to try.

Until she falls. She tries to recover herself and pull herself up on Caleb's shoulder, but her legs give in and she falls onto her knees.

I know half of the eyes are trained on her and the other half on me, wanting to know what I'm going to do now that my fiancée gave the illusion of not wanting me – delusion, I hope.

I don't care what they want me to do. I don't care what the traditions state about the groom. I run over to her and let my knees bear my weight as I crouch in front of her.

Tris has her head in her hands, hiding her face from the rows of curious people.

"Tris," I just say and I take her hands away from her face.

"I'm sowwy, Tobias," she sobs. "I just destwoyed the wedding. I twied, Tobias, I weally did."

I pull her into an embrace. Tris lays her head on my shoulder and clutches my back. I whisper soothing words in her ear and rub her back. I try to calm her down with steady breathing.

"Everything is going to be alright, Tris," I say. "I'm not going to back out of this marriage because of something I don't care about. If I found that tremble horrible, I would've left you a long time ago."

Tris squeezes my shoulder with one hand.

"And the traditions are the last thing I worry about," I add.

Tris lets out a chuckle and bites her lip. She lifts her head from my shoulder and looks at me.

"Thank you," she whispers. "I love you."

"I love you, too," I say and I kiss her forehead. "I'm not allowed to kiss you yet," I say and I make a face.

She laughs and hugs me once more. Then I help her up and with my help she manages to reach the end of the isle.

I hear the whispers of the people in front of us, but don't hear them, not in the way that I comprehend what they're saying anyway. I take a quick look at my mother and see the tears in her eyes catch the light of the lamp above her. She smiles and nods at me. I smile back and look back at Tris.

"I have to say this," I say. "You look beautiful."

Tris blushes. "Thank you. You look vewy handsome."

A man starts speaking, but I don't hear what he's saying. Probably something about how marriage is not supposed to be ended before death and how we need to cherish the love we receive. Something I learned when she 'died.' Then I hear my name called and a series of questions follow.

And I answer without a single doubt, "I do."

"Then you may kiss the bride," the man says.

I lean forward to kiss her, but just before my lips touch hers I'm interrupted.

"Stop."

I look up. Someone stands from the wooden benches in the room. Short hair, dark blue eyes that make me shiver and grey Abnegation clothing. Marcus.

"You're not going to destroy the live of this innocent girl," he continues.

"I'm not," I say. "And she's twenty, you know. She can make her own decisions. Just because you don't want me to be happy, doesn't mean I don't choose my own way to get my happiness."

With that I turn back to Tris. Before anyone else can say something, I touch my lips to hers, feeling the warmth of her soft skin. She kisses me back with the same amount of love and passion that I feel.

"I said stop!" screams Marcus.

I look up again. My eyes go wide at the sight of Marcus... with a gun in his hands. I push Tris behind me, shielding her from the bullets that undoubtedly are going to fly around.

"Marcus," I say in a calm tone, but I'm anything but calm. "You don't want to do this and you don't have to."

"I do want this, actually," he says. "I want to see you suffer one more time before I disappear in the shadows again. And your wedding – the most selfish day in your entire life – seemed to be the best time to do this."

This.

My hand reaches Tris's hand and gives it a reassuring squeeze. I'm going to protect her. She's not going to die by the hands of this monster. I would rather die myself.

I feel the metal of the wedding band on my finger and think about all the happy and all the sad moments I've had with her and realize that I don't want to give that all up.

But before I can think of a solution

Before I can even think about something, anything

Marcus's finger twitches and I go down.

"Tobias!"

Tris's voice seems to have to go through water to reach my ear and then it takes a few seconds for me to realize what she's actually saying.

"Please, Tobias, don't leave me," says Tris, tears streaming down her beautiful face. I concentrate on that to distract myself from the pain in my abdomen. "Please, Tobias, look at me. Look at me. Don't die, you heaw me? You'we not going to leave me on our wedding, I will not allow it!"

It costs so much energy to raise my hand to wipe her tears.

"Tris," I say weakly. "I love you. Don't forget that. Do what you always did when I was still there."

"Tobias, no! Don't say things like that! Don't say goodbye, like it's the last time we'll see each othew."

"Tris, it's too late."

She had never cried this hard before. She kisses me so hard that it hurts, but I don't stop her. I need her kisses right now; I want to think about her love when I meet my end.

"I love you," she says, her voice strained. "Thank you fow loving me."

I try to smile, but it's small and crooked. Her voice disappears and black envelo

A/N - oh gosh, I'm pure evil. I'm laughing right now. I loved writing this👹👹👻

I have to go to school Tuesday and I don't want to😭

Be brave & stay alive