40

A/N - I'm so, so sorry for not updating yesterday! I completely forgot. My mind is so shattered lately. I know you all want to know what happened to Tobias, so I'll stop talking now.

I'm pulled off Tobias by two men. I don't try to fight them - I already know I'm too weak. Instead I let them carry me to the bench closest to me. My hand is red with blood from where I pressed it to the wound, and so is my dress.

White, the color of perfection and flawlessness, turned red and black in an instance. Red, the color of blood and violence and black, the color of death and grief.

Through the haze of tears I see Cara next to Tobias on the ground, but she's on her knees and alive. Paramedics encircle Tobias as well, blocking the view of him that I had left. I feel the warmth of another body next to me. If this was a normal day, in a normal winter in a normal Chicago, I would've craved that warmth. But now that it is summer and I'm cold, I don't want that warmth, because it makes me remember. It makes me remember the coldness of his hands as they wiped my tears and the coldness of his lips as I touched them with my own.

Someone is talking to me, but I don't hear them. Everything passes in a blur and I don't understand a thing. Everything I hear when someone speaks up is Tobias, telling me he loves me and telling me it's too late.

And when the tears keep falling I feel the ghost of his fingers, wiping them away.

Someone puts their arm around my torso and helps me toward the exit. My legs don't seem to work, so I end up being carried. It takes a while for me to get a clear image of the one who's carrying me. Zeke, his face ashen and his mouth in a grimace.

"I'm sowwy, Zeke," I whisper.

"Don't," he just says. "You need to focus on you, and then I handle my own grief."

He takes me to the ambulance and sets me down on a chair inside the bed of the car. He turns around to go away, but I stop him.

"Zeke," I say. "Could you please stay?"

He frowns a little. "Until they come with him. I can't go with you."

I nod. I feel weird. I don't want anyone's presence, but the moment I'm left alone, I feel like I might choke. Not that I would mind right now, but it isn't a nice feeling.

"He really loves you, you know," says Zeke. "He couldn't shut up about it."

"I know he did," I say. I hate my voice. It sounds so weak and pathetic.

"He's not going down without a fight, don't worry."

"He saved me," I say. "He was shielding me fow the bullets. I didn't think the 'Till death sepawates us' would come this quickly."

Marcus said, just before he pulled the trigger, that he wanted to see Tobias suffer one more time. But he's not the one suffering. I am, and it's threatening to destroy me.

Shouts are coming closer. Zeke looks outside through a window and stands.

"Good luck, Tris," he says and he's gone.