Chapter 34- DTR

Chapter 34- DTR

The thought was there, the whole time, I guess. It just never really meant anything until now I guess. It was there but I hadn't cared enough to notice; It was the last of my worries.

But sitting in a car with only the melodies over the stereo system keeping it safe from silence, alone with him, the thought is more than difficult to push back.

He was moderately nice to me when we met at the restaurant. He apologized for what he said and was polite about it. He promises me that he will try not to be an ass towards me. He listened to me rant about Luke and was prepared to listen. When I broke down in front of him, he comforted me with soothing words. We ate dinner with Frizz, where we conversed about mine and Frizz's childhood together in Australia. We baked muffins together as Frizz showered. He opened up to me about his past. Frizz had made it quite clear to me that she doesn't even know everything after all the years they have been friends. He listened carefully when we were talking about my childhood as he took me dancing for the first time since Luke. Tells me that I am a better dancer then my parents ever made me out to be. He bought me ice cream and made me his famous fish and chips. We promised each other no hiding. We shared quite a heated kiss and now he is driving me to my old office three hours from his home, without a shirt on.

So where do we go from here?

Are we friends?

Are we in a romantic relationship?

Are we 'Buddies'?

"What is this?" my thoughts are voiced involuntary. But I don't do anything to correct my sudden question.

"What's what?" he glances my way with one hand on the wheel.

"What are we?"

"What do you want us to be?"

"What if what I want, isn't what you want?" Here we go again with the 'what if's'. "Or it is not right? What if is not meant to happen? What if..."

"I like you Amber."

Did I... Did he...

"I like you, Amber. Not just as a friend."

I stayed silent, not quite sure what to say. I am stunned by his words.

"I get it. Just friends," he says, taking my silence as a refusal.

"No, no. Don't be stupid. I like you too. I just feel like there is something that... It feels as if we are here for a reason. Like, this is what we are meant for."

You are coming on too strong, Amberiza! Stop before you scare him, my subconscious tells me. But I would be lying if I didn't feel that.

"We are meant to be?" he rewords my statement.

"Something like that," I nod in agreement. "So where do we go from here?"

Any other person in my position may find this conversation quite awkward but it feels right. I am doing good. This is exactly where I am meant to be; where we are meant to be.

"I have never actually been in this situation before. I was always the guy who has the one night stands. I have never driven 3 hours with a girl that actually meant something to me. I have never been anywhere near as nice to anyone as I have been toward you. So I don't actually know how to start these things. Do you shake hands when the agreement is made? Is there some sort of contract? Do we make out? Do I spoil you rotten and take you out all the time? What is the protocol here?" he admits.

+Nathan's POV+

She laughs.

Not the soft giggle followed by a small smile but the kind where she shuts her eyes, with little crinkles by the sides, throws her head back and holds her stomach as the sound that she calls laughter and I call music escapes her mouth.

I smile at the reaction I had caused; it really is a beautiful site. If I could only hear one thing for the rest of my life, it would be her laugh. It makes the butterflies fly. It makes the smiles grow. It makes the rooms brighter. It makes me blissful.