Year 1 // Platform 9 and 3/4

(1117 words)
Chapter song: Memories - Maroon 5

Platform 9 and 3/4. You and your parents looked around wide-eyed at the hidden platform at King's Cross station. Honestly, you had believed it was all a joke until now: going to the so called 'Diagon Alley' with the rest of the 'Muggle-borns' that were supposedly also going to 'Hogwarts'.

You had found the word 'Muggle' rather hilarious. And for an old man that appeared at your house in a full wizard costume to call your parents 'Muggles' made you blink twice before bursting into fits of laughter. The old man however, did not laugh, and introduced himself as 'Albus Dumbledore', Headmaster of 'Hogwarts'. It wasn't your fault; you tried to keep a straight face as he explained that you were a witch, but you just couldn't.

Anyway, you'd gone to some wizard high street called 'Diagon Alley' with a woman named Minerva McGonagall, who was apparently going to be a teacher at this new school. At this point you were convinced your parents were pulling a huge practical joke on you, even though you saw goblins, a giant burly man, and people waving wands like little kids.

You decided to go along with the whole thing; you had to admit it was the most interesting thing that had happened all summer since you finished primary school in July.

You'd bought your things with a really dodgy currency which you didn't understand at all: Galleons, Sickles, Knuts and what not. You guessed that Almonds would also be a part of this bizarre money system.

Your things included: three sets of work robes which were black; one plain pointed black hat; one pair of dragon hide gloves; one winter cloak; a wand; a mini cauldron; a set glass; a telescope; and brass scales. Then you had also bought your course books, which were actually interesting and really creative, since it was all obviously fiction.

But now, now you believed it. Actually standing on Platform Nine and Three-Quarters meant that this wizarding world you'd considered a joke this whole time was in fact very real. You're parents were equally astonished, but when the whistle blew, it meant that it was time for you to get on the train. You hugged your parents and stumbled onto the train, still confused and thinking this was all a dream.

You'd literally walked up and down the train for about ten minutes trying to find an empty compartment. It was an impossible task. In one compartment there were two boys who seemed to look about your age: one with jet black hair and the other with red hair.

"Um, excuse me?" you asked nervously. "Mind if I sit here? All the other compartments are full."

"Sure, I'm Ron Weasley." the ginger boy said. "And this is Harry Potter." he added, looking really proud of himself - though you weren't quite sure why.

"Hi," you said with a small wave.

"How are you not freaking out?!" Ron exclaimed. "He's Harry Potter! The Harry Potter!"

"Sorry, who?" you asked, genuinely confused.

Ron explained everything within a matter of minutes. So basically Harry over here defeated the Dark Lord, who was very evil, when he was just a baby. Impressive.

"So what's your name?" Harry asked.

"Oh, I'm (Y/n) (L/n)." you replied with a smile.

Suddenly someone tapped on the glass. "Anything from the trolley dears?" an old woman pushing a trolley full of sweets asked you.

Ron's mouth watered, but he sadly pulled out a mushed sandwich. "No thanks, I'm all set." It looked absolutely disgusting.

You weren't quite sure you wanted to try wizard sweets just yet, whilst Harry on the other hand said, "We'll take the lot." and pulled out some Galleons.

Your compartment was full of sweets, chocolate wands, chocolate frogs, Bertie Bots Every Flavour Beans (which so far you had had a rather nasty experience as you got 'toenail' and 'worm'), and other various colourful wrappers.

As Ron was attempting a spell to turn his pet rat yellow, and as you were eating a chocolate wand, a girl stuck her head in.

"Has anyone seen a toad? A boy named Neville's lost one." She asked. "Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see then." she said when she noticed Ron holding his wand.

Ron cleared his voice and straightened his posture. "Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turn this stupid, fat rat yellow."

Nothing happened.

"Are you sure that's a real spell? Well, it's not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practise and it's all worked for me." the girl said rather arrogantly. She stood up and sat down in front of Harry, pointing her wand at his broken glasses. "For example, Oculus Reparo." she said, and the glasses were fixed.

He took off his glasses, astonished with what the girl did.

"Holy cricket! You're Harry Potter!" she exclaimed. "I'm Hermione Granger. And," she said, turning to Ron and yourself. "You are?"

"(Y/n) (L/n)." you said with a wide grin. This girl seemed to be nice, albeit a bit bossy. Plus, she seemed to know what the hell was going on around here, so it'd be nice to have a friend like that.

Hermione returned the smile and looked at Ron.

"Ron Weasley." Ron said through a mouthful of sweets.

Hermione looked disgusted. "Pleasure. You three better get changed into your robes. I expect we'll be arriving soon." And with that, she walked out of the carriage, but not before saying to Ron, "You've got dirt on your nose by the way. Did you know? Just there."

Ron rubbed his nose as Hermione officially walked out.

Ron and Harry looked at each other and you just laughed.

"Whatever house I'm in, I hope she's not in it," said Ron, throwing his wand back into his trunk.

"What house are your brothers in?" Harry asked.

"Gryffindor." said Ron gloomily. "My mum and dad were in it too, I don't know what they'd say if I'm not. I don't suppose Ravenclaw would be too bad, but imagine if they put me in Slytherin."

You'd read 'Hogwarts: A History' very briefly, so you knew that the four houses were Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin and Ravenclaw, each representing a characteristic.

"What about you guys?"

"I don't really know..." you said.

"Hagrid told me that Vol-I mean You-Know-Who was in Slytherin, so I don't want to be in that house. I wouldn't mind any other house, but Hagrid said that Hufflepuff are a lot of duffers, whatever he meant by that." Harry answered.

From what you heard from Ron and Harry, Slytherin and Hufflepuff were the houses you did not want to be in.