Year 2// Eavesdropping

(1083 words)

"Come on, (Y/N), let me see your essay!" Hannah whined, tugging at your parchment which you had secured firmly under your folded arms as you napped in the library.

You had been set a huge History of Magic essay by Binns on the International Warlock Convention of 1289. Thankfully, you had finished it and were taking a well-deserved nap in the library during your free period.

"Let me sleep, Hannah." you grumbled, turning your head the other way.

"You're no help." Hannah huffed, continuing to write her first paragraph.

As soon as you shut your eyes, you heard some familiar whispers entering the library. You opened an eye and saw Harry, Ron and Hermione. You lifted your head and looked in their direction curiously. Didn't they have a lesson to be at right now?

You hadn't managed to get a word in with them for weeks. Even in your Herbology and Transfiguration lessons they were acting very suspiciously and disappeared after class without a word. They were clearly hiding something, and you suspected that they wouldn't tell you if you asked.

"I'm going to go back to the common room, I need to get something." you blatantly lied to Hannah.

"Alright, but leave your essay here please!" she practically begged.

You laughed as you folded the parchment and put it in your bag. "No can do."

You actually wanted to tail the trio to figure out what they were up to, and you couldn't tell Hannah about your suspicions.

Once you were out of the library, the trio were long gone. You recalled a tracking spell you had read about in a book earlier on in the year.

"Appare Vestigium." you whispered.

A swirl of gold left your wand and whirled around you like fairy dust, revealing golden footprints heading towards the girls' toilets, where Moaning Myrtle would be.

"What are they doing there?" you wondered aloud.

Making sure you erased the footprints, you hurried to the toilets. Once you got there, you stood quietly by the entrance, keen to listen to their conversation.

"— and of course a bit of whoever we want to change into." You heard Hermione say. You were, admittedly, confused.

"Excuse me?" said Ron sharply. "What d'you mean, 'a bit of whoever we're changing into?' I'm drinking nothing with Crabbe's toenails in it —"

"We don't have to worry about that yet, though, because we add those bits last..." Hermione continued as though she hadn't heard him.

"D'you realise how much we're going to have to steal, Hermione? Shredded skin of a boomslang, that's definitely not in the students' cupboard. What're we going to do, break into Snape's private stores? I don't know if this is a good idea..."  Harry said.

A loud slam echoed.

"Well, if you two are going to chicken out, fine," Hermione replied, passive-aggressively. "I don't want to break rules, you know. I think threatening Muggleborns is far worse than brewing up a difficult potion. But if you don't want to find out if it's Malfoy, I'll go straight to Madam Pince now and hand the book back in."

Draco?! He was attacking the Muggle-borns?! You weren't listening to their conversation anymore; you couldn't believe what they said about Draco. Sure, he was a right foul person, and he'd done some bad things, but attack Muggle-borns? He didn't even have the guts to do that. But then again, he did talk to you a week ago about the Chamber of Secrets. Was that a threat?

Suddenly you heard footsteps nearing where you stood. You immediately jumped out the way and hid behind some knight-armour that stood in the corridor.

Hermione was checking if the coast was clear before she motioned to the boys to follow her out.

*

You took a deep breath as you headed to your Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson with Ravenclaw. Even when the lesson began, you were clearly distracted. What were the trio talking about? To you, it sounded like they were planning on brewing a potion. But which one?

At lunch, again, you weren't paying attention to what you were eating. Your Hufflepuff friends were talking, but you didn't listen.

"(Y/N)? (Y/N)?" Justin was saying. "(Y/N)!" He said a little louder, finally catching your attention.

"You okay? You look a little spooked." He asked.

"I-I'm fine. I just, don't want Charms with Slytherin, that's all." That was sort of true; after hearing about the trios thoughts on Draco, you weren't too keen on speaking to him.

Your friends agreed with you instantly, prompting them into a conversation about how awful the Slytherins were.

Eventually, lunch was over, and your Charms lesson began.

As Flitwick revised the Fire-Making Charm that you were so adept in using, you caught Draco glaring at you, for obvious reasons.

On a normal day, this lesson would have you laughing. You would have been able to tease Malfoy about the Incendio incidents, or even smirk back at his glares, but not today. Today, you were cautious of him. If he was attacking the Muggle-borns, you were already an easy target since you weren't on his good side. You didn't want to annoy him more than you already had.

You didn't realise you were impatiently tapping your foot until Pansy elbowed you in your side. "Can you stop that?" she hissed.

You listened to her immediately, somewhat scared.

The lesson ended and you left the classroom with Justin. You were distracted again as he spoke to you about the Charms homework you just received, not that you even made a note of it. He seemed to notice you weren't listening, so he asked you about it.

Not wanting to give an answer, you said you left something in the classroom and dashed back.

Unfortunately, you collided with Draco. Oh no.

"Sorry!" you blurted out, about to turn the other way, until Draco pulled at the hood of your robe, forcing you to turn to face him.

Draco narrowed his eyes at you. Like Justin, he also noticed the change in your behaviour — you never apologised to him.

"Slytherin's going to win tomorrow, so you better win your match with Ravenclaw next week." He said, before walking away.

You were shocked; you had been convinced you were at the top of his list of targets, but maybe not.

Maybe he didn't hate you. Maybe he really did want to play a match against you.