Year 3// Halloween

(4431 words)
Note: If you've not already noticed, in the re-write of Year 3 there is foul language.

In no time at all, Defense Against the Dark Arts had become most people's favorite class. You weren't the biggest fan after your Boggart lesson, but you had to admit it was far more interesting than making Food Preservation Potions with Snape. Only Draco and his gang of Slytherins had anything bad to say about Professor Lupin.

"Look at the state of his robes," Draco would say in a loud whisper as Professor Lupin passed. "He dresses like our old house elf."

But no one else cared that Professor Lupin's robes were patched and frayed. His next few lessons were just as interesting as the first. After Boggarts, you studied Red Caps, nasty little goblin-like creatures that lurked wherever there had been bloodshed: in the dungeons of castles and the potholes of deserted battlefields, waiting to bludgeon those who had gotten lost. From Red Caps you moved on to Kappas, creepy water-dwellers that looked like scaly monkeys, with webbed hands itching to strangle unwitting waders in their ponds.

Meanwhile, you weren't really enjoying your other lessons much, apart from perhaps Arithmancy. It amused you to see Draco confused twice a week, but he would often join you and Michael in the library out of spite and threaten you with his usual catchphrase: "My Father will hear about this!" Nonetheless, every time Michael left the library after your Charms tutoring sessions, Draco would ask for help with Arithmancy homework. Even though he'd been doing this for a while now, he would flush red with embarrassment when he asked you — probably to do with his huge ego.

Potions was awful lately. Snape was in a particularly vindictive mood these days, and no one was in any doubt why. The story of the Boggart in Gryffindor and Slytherin's DADA lesson assuming Snape's shape, and the way that Neville had dressed it in his grandmother's clothes, had traveled through the school like wildfire. Snape didn't seem to find it funny. His eyes flashed menacingly at the very mention of Professor Lupin's name, and he was apparently bullying Neville worse than ever.

You were also growing to dread Divination lessons, deciphering lopsided shapes and symbols, and trying to ignore Professor Trelawney's rather obnoxious predictions about you and your fellow classmates. Admittedly, you were worried, since she told you to prepare for the worst as Halloween drew nearer. You didn't entirely hate the lessons, though. Draco wasn't bothering Michael, you or your friends, which meant you hadn't used the Incendio Charm yet either.

Nobody really liked Care of Magical Creatures, which, after the action-packed first class, had become extremely dull. Hagrid seemed to have lost his confidence. You were now spending lesson after lesson learning how to look after flobberworms, which had to be some of the most boring creatures in existence.

"Why would anyone bother looking after them?" said Ron, after yet another hour of poking shredded lettuce down the flobberworms' throats. You were sitting at a desk with him, Ron, Hermione and Hannah.

At the start of October, however, you had something else to occupy you, something so enjoyable it more than made up for your unsatisfactory classes. The Quidditch season was approaching, and Cedric Diggory, Captain of the Hufflepuff team, called a meeting on Thursday evening to discuss tactics for the new season.

Cedric Diggory, a Seeker, now a fifth year, was the Hogwarts heartthrob; tall, extremely handsome, dark hair and bright grey eyes. You never had a crush on him, but you could see why girls swooned over him, perhaps just as much as they swooned over Lockhart last year. You couldn't deny that he was attractive, but he wasn't really your type.

You looked around the room and spotted Oliver Rivers, a fourth year, standing near Cedric. Your stomach practically did a backflip and twisted every time you saw him. You were head-over-heels for him, and Hannah always managed to find a way to tease you about it.