Year 1// Detention

(2898 words)

The next day, you did a double take as you walked past the four giant hourglasses that recorded each house's points. The Hufflepuff hourglass was, as you expected, twenty points less than yesterday, because of you creeping about the school halls past curfew last night. But Gryffindor, the only house that had any chance of beating Slytherin for the House Cup, had seemingly lost one-hundred and fifty points. You blinked, just like all the other students who also stood before the hourglasses in disbelief. What happened to Gryffindors points? Did someone tamper with it? It was probably Draco, you concluded.

No one seemed to be in a great mood, apart from Slytherin. There were only two months left of the school year — it wasn't possible that any house could beat Slytherin now.

You were walking with Hannah, behind Harry and Ron, on your way to Herbology when a passing Slytherin whistled, "Thanks Potter, we owe you one!"

You were a little confused. Was it Harry's fault that Gryffindor lost all those points? Who are you kidding, of course it was Harry's fault! Now that you thought of it, it couldn't have been anybody else. You were a little disappointed in Harry.

The story eventually spread and your speculations were confirmed: Harry Potter, the famous Harry Potter, the hero of two Quidditch matches, had lost Gryffindor all those points, him and a couple of other stupid first years.

From being one of the most popular and admired people at the school, Harry was suddenly the most hated. Even Ravenclaws and most of your house turned on him, because everyone had been longing to see Slytherin lose the house cup. Everywhere Harry went, people pointed and didn't trouble to lower their voices as they insulted him.

You felt bad for him. It couldn't have been entirely his fault; Draco must've had some role in it. After all, he was telling McGonagall about how Harry Potter was coming, and how he'd got a dragon. Hang on... he had Hagrid's dragon. Draco was peering into Hagrid's Hut — that's how he knew. Question was, why was Harry with Hagrid's dragon?

*

You went to the library to study for your exams with Hannah. You saw Ron and Hermione talking seriously and animatedly to Harry, who looked equally distressed.

"I'll be right back," you whispered to Hannah.

You made your way to the trio.

"Snape's done it, then!" exclaimed Ron. "If Quirrell's told him how to break his Anti-Dark Force spell —"

"What?!" you said, making your presence obvious to the trio.

"Oh, hi (Y/n)," Hermione smiled. She didn't look her happy, studying self. She looked a little... guilty.

"Hey," you said. "What's this about Snape you're talking about?" you asked. You didn't want to bring up the hundred and fifty house points Gryffindor had lost because of Harry; it would probably make him feel worse.

"Harry just told us that Quirrel has told Snape how to get to the Philosopher's Stone — we're done for now!" Ron explained with extravagant hand gestures.

"There's still Fluffy, though," said Hermione.

"Maybe Snape's found out how to get past him without asking Hagrid," you said, looking up at the thousands of books surrounding you. "I bet there's a book somewhere in here telling you how to get past a giant three-headed dog. So what do we do, Harry?"

"Go to Dumbledore. That's what we should have done ages ago. If we try anything ourselves we'll be thrown out for sure." Hermione said.

"But we've got no proof!" said Harry. "Quirrell's too scared to back us up. Snape's only got to say he doesn't know how the troll got in at Halloween and that he was nowhere near the third floor — who do you think they'll believe, him or us? It's not exactly a secret we hate him, Dumbledore will think we made it up to get him sacked. Filch wouldn't help us if his life depended on it, he's too friendly with Snape, and the more students get thrown out, the better, he'll think. And don't forget, we're not supposed to know about the Stone or Fluffy. That'll take a lot of explaining."