Year 3// Dementors

(2824 words)

You stayed with Oliver in his compartment for a while, along with Maxine and Malcolm. You found out that Cedric was the new Hufflepuff Captain, chosen by Professor Sprout, making you very excited about this year's Quidditch matches.

The rain soon thickened as the train sped yet farther north; the windows were now a solid, shimmering gray, which gradually darkened until lanterns flickered into life all along the corridors and over the luggage racks.

The train was getting slower and slower. As the noise of the pistons fell away, the wind and rain sounded louder than ever against the windows. You thought that you should probably get back to your friends since it appeared that you were close to Hogwarts.

"I'm going to get back to Hannah and Justin, I'll see you guys at the Sorting!" you said before leaving the compartment and rushing down the corridor.

You got to the next carriage, when the train came to a sudden stop with a jolt, and you were flung backwards harshly. Then, without warning, all the lamps went out and the train was plunged into total darkness. You heard a couple panicked screams of students from within the compartments. You gulped.

You crawled to the nearest compartment and opened it, stumbling inside and slamming the door shut behind you. It was too dark to see anyone, but you could tell there were about four people, not including you.

"Ugh! Who is it?" A voice spoke up. You recognised it instantly.

"Pansy." You said quietly with a sigh, cursing your luck that you ended up in her compartment.

"No, I'm Pansy! Who are you?" Pansy shrieked. You facepalmed.

"Uh..." you started, not wanting to tell the compartment of bullies who you were.

"It's that Hufflepuff, (L/n), can't you tell by her disgusting voice?" Another girl who's voice you recognised as Daphne Greengrass' spoke up. You heard snickers come from around you. It was perhaps the most unpleasant situation you could have been in.

You were sitting on the floor, on someone's shoe since there was no space anywhere else.

"Can't you go somewhere else, mudblood?" Pansy snarled into the darkness.

"I don't want to be here any less than you, Pansy," you said, your voice laced with a little disgust. "It's really dark out there so let's just wait it out—"

"You're scared of the dark?" This voice was Millicent Bulstrode.

"Of course not —" you started.

"Then get out!" Daphne screeched, before you could finish your sentence. You were startled by her loud voice, so you quickly stood up, but hit your head on a suitcase that had been stored overhead.

A new voice spoke up, one you didn't recognise. "Daph, leave it, she'll go once the lights are on —"

"Tory, you don't know what you're on about; she's a mudblood. We don't associate with filth like her." Daphne replied.

"I know that! But the lights are out! Do you want her to step on your shoes and ruin them?" The voice, Tory said. And here you thought she was defending you.