Year 2// The Polyjuice Potion

(4365 words)

Two weeks. It had been two whole weeks since the double attack on Justin and Nearly Headless Nick, and Ernie didn't talk to you one bit. He would scowl in your direction whenever you entered his vicinity, and his mood seemed to have also rubbed off on Susan and Hannah. They would make small talk with you when he wasn't around, but you could feel the awkwardness as they spoke to you.

It almost felt like a repeat of last year when Hannah hated you; the feeling of losing the trust of your friends would never be something you got used to, even if it wasn't your fault. Just the thought that Ernie believed that you had something to do with the attack kept you up at night, barely able to get any sleep.

That evening after dinner, you decided to send a letter to your parents and headed to the Owlery. You wouldn't mention the attacks or the danger you were currently in, or the fact that Ernie hated you. It would simply be a letter to ask how they've been.

You stepped into the Owlery and saw Draco stroking his white eagle owl. Walking past him without saying a word, you felt him look at you. You sat down at a desk and pulled out your parchment and a quill, beginning to write the letter to your parents.

"You're pretty incompetent." Draco suddenly said aloud, sitting down two seats across from you. Assuming he was speaking to you, you turned to look at him.

"Excuse me?" You raised an eyebrow, placing your quill down.

"You can't lie, you get caught every time you do something that's not in the rules, and you get angry too quickly — it's beyond me why you're even in Hufflepuff." Draco continued to list out.

"What's your problem Malfoy?!" You angrily said, standing up and clenching your fists.

Draco smirked and pointed at you lazily. "See? My point exactly."

You glared at him and sat back down, taking a deep breath.

"What do you want?" You bitterly asked.

"To tell you that there's no way that you attacked that useless Hufflepuff. You don't have it in you." He simply said.

Was that an insult? You couldn't tell, but you still laughed at his statement. "Great, so you believe I didn't attack Justin. Why does that matter? No one cares about your opinion."

Draco scowled. "You shouldn't care about anyone's opinion." He said, before he turned and left the Owlery.

You blinked as you watched him walk away. He was right; so what if Ernie hates you? It's not your fault and you know that, so why should you feel bad?

Quickly finishing up your letter, you tied it to the talon of a school owl and sent it to your home. You returned to your dormitory and opened the door to see Ernie sitting on the sofa, telling some wild story about Harry Potter being the Heir of Slytherin, again.

"Ernie, what do you think you're doing? Harry has done nothing, so there's no need to spread false rumours about him." You told him angrily.

Ernie turned to look at you, and a couple of Hufflepuffs that were scattered around the common room turned to stare at the two of you.

"Of course you're taking his side." Ernie stated. "You never liked Justin did you? Always said he was worse than Malfoy —"

You lunged at Ernie who let out a small yelp, pinning him down on the carpeted floor. Perhaps Draco was right: you got angry too quickly. Hannah and Susan frantically rushed to you and attempted pulling you off of Ernie, but you successfully managed to shake them off.

"How dare you? Justin is my friend! You know why I didn't like him last year! H-how could you use that against me?" You shouted, tears threatening to spill from your eyes. Ernie looked up at you in shock.