Chapter 31

CAITLYN'S POV

I woke up with a groggy feeling, i held my forehead and looked around. I began to panic nang makita kong nasa loob ako ng sasakyan, the last time i knew was that i was in the library to take a nap. So, how did i end up here? 

Tumingin ako sa driver seat, nanlaki ang mata ko nang makita ko si Tristan. "Fvck you, Tristan. Where the hell are you taking me?!" Sigaw ko. 

Pinasadahan niya ako ng tingin at nginitian. "Shh, just stay still Heidianne. Finally, we're going to be together." Sabi niya. 

He swiftly shoved me back toward the backseat when I attempted to reach for the steering wheel. Napadaing ako nang masaktan niya ako. "Tristan, you're fvcking insane! Stop what you're doing, this isn't right!" Sigaw ko. 

He ignored me, his eyes were focused on the road. He drives faster as he notices something approaching in his rearview mirror. Lumingon ako sa likod, it was Joshua's car. I forcibly sat up to grab the steering wheel, the car swerved violently as Tristan struggled to maintain control.

He aggressively grabbed me by my collar, gritting his teeth in insanity. "You're going to get us killed! Do you want to die that badly?" He shouted angrily. 

I pushed him and held the steering wheel with full force. "I'd rather die than go with you!" 

Regaining control of the wheel, i pulled it with every ounce of strength. A loud noise is produced as the car loses control and smashes into the median. 

JOSHUA'S POV

I felt my stomach drop as i saw the automobile spin out in front of me. The automobile crashed into the median and toppled onto its side, leaving an audible shriek of metal on metal. I slammed full force to the brakes and skidded to a stop within inches of the collision. 

Time stopped for a brief minute. Fear clenching in my chest, i stared at the crashed car, gasping for air. Then, though, instinct took over. Leaping from the vehicle, i made my way towards the wreckage.

"H—H–Hedianne? C–can you hear me?!" 

I immediately pulled at the crumpled door with all my strength, my hands were shaking. The sound of sirens echoed in the distance, but all i could focus on was getting her out of that car, praying she was still alive. Inside the wreck, i saw her lying covered in blood, slowly opened her eyes, and tears began streaming down her face. 

"J—Joshua.."

I wiped my eyes hurriedly as the tears began to distort my vision. "I'm right here,  Heidianne. P—please hold on.."

As i finally pried the door open, i reached in and gently pulled her out, holding her close as the first responders arrived. The terror of the last few minutes slowly ebbed away, replaced by an overwhelming sense of relief that she was in my arms, safe—for now.

But the fear of almost losing her, of almost being too late, would stay with me forever.

The paramedics helped me lift Heidianne over the stretcher. "Please, be careful." Sabi ko when i heard her wince in pain as they secured her. 

She squeezed my hand weakly, half eyes open. "Don't.. leave me, please?" She whispered in a hoarse voice. 

I kissed her forehead and smiled. "I won't."

As the paramedics wheeled her to the ambulance, i turned my head back to the wrecked car. My eyes narrowed as i saw Tristan slumped against the steering wheel, blood trickling down his face but still conscious.

Without thinking, driven by pure rage, i stormed over to the car. I yanked the door open and dragged him out onto the pavement. Tristan barely had time to react before my fist collided with his face, sending a spray of blood across the asphalt.

I gritted my teeth. "You fvcking bastard. You could've killed her!" I shouted angrily.

Tinignan niya ako at nginitian. "Would it be better if we die together? So, you can't have her." 

I landed another punch and another, my anger pouring out with each blow. Tristan tried to shield himself, but i was relentless. Someone's shouting, telling me to stop. But i didn't listen. 

It wasn't until the police intervened that i was being pulled away. Two officers grabbed me, dragging me back as i struggled to break free, my eyes wild with anger when i stared at them. "That's enough, you're going to kill him!" Sigaw ng isang officer. 

"He deserves worse! You're letting him live like that?!" 

The officers didn't argue but they pushed me back further, while another officer checked on Tristan, who was now groaning on the ground, his face bloodied and swollen. I finally stopped resisting, my shoulders slumping in exhaustion and despair. I turned my back on him, not wanting to see the man who had caused so much pain. The officers placed handcuffs on him, who was barely able to stand, and led him to a waiting police car.

Tinignan ako ng police officer at nilapitan ako. "We need to take you both to the hospital. You'll be checked out before anything else happens." Sabi niya. 

Tumango ako at sumakay sa loob ng sasakyan para sundan sila. I couldn't shake the feeling of helplessness that had gripped me when i saw that car crash happened earlier. As the ambulance drove off, the only thing on my mind was seeing her safe, knowing that this nightmare was finally over.

___

Nang makarating kami sa hospital, i immediately texted her parents and siblings about what happened. Kaagad akong tumayo nang matanaw ko ang parents ni Heidianne, they were rushing to get here with tears in their eyes. "How is she? May nasabi na ang doctor sayo?" Heidianne's mom asked . 

I smiled. "No po, Tita. I'm still waiting for the doctor to come outside." Sagot ko. 

"What about the man she'd been with?" Heidianne's father asked, in a serious tone. 

"They treated him earlier at the emergency room and went to the police station after to interrogate him." Sagot ko.

A few minutes later, a doctor stepped out of the room, its expression serious but not dire. Napatayo kaming lahat at nilapitan siya, naghihintay sa kanyang balita. Charles and Sky patted my shoulder and smiled, i felt comfortable somehow.

"She's stable, but she's suffered some minor injuries that we need to monitor. We're going to keep her for a few days for observation, just to be safe. She's resting for now, you can see her once she wakes up."