Wishing You Were Somehow Gone Again

Chapter Three: Wishing You Were Somehow Gone Again.

'Probably even less' Carlotta's words repeated in my brain, digging a hole of anger towards her. Uncle Firmin sent me back down to the second cellar, seeing as I was 'incapable of interacting with the stars without causing a fuss' as he worded it. My body ached and cracked as I attempted to clean, but my back would snap, my knees popped, and my fingers curled.

I needed rest.

I sat for a moment, I then heard someone panting, I turned to find Abelia standing before me; hunched over with her hands resting on her knees. "Abelia" I whispered, cracking a smile, she flopped down next to me and did a double take, noticing my wounds. "Don't ask" I said before she could get two words out of her mouth, she nodded.

"I won't if you don't, ya know, ask about him" Abelia said, nudging my arm, I consented to this and we sat together in silence for the longest time. She sniffed me and smiled.

"You had a run-in with the great La Carlotta, I smell" said she, grinning, I closed my eyes and sighed. I nodded "how was it?" She asked, I turned to her and gave her a frank look, she laughed and sighed "me too" she added, ceasing her laughter.

"Where did you go?" I asked after a small pause.

"I ran down to the fourth cellar on accident and I fell and hurt my leg, I called out for you and heard you coming, but then I heard you scream and when I came to investigate..." she trailed off, my brows furrowed.

"I screamed? I don't remember screaming" I said, she smiled.

"Most people don't, you were probably in too much shock to do anything, you fell down the stairs, after all" she said, I saw her crossing her fingers, she was hoping I would ask what happened next. She looked up to me and sighed. "You were already gone" she finished "when I came to investigate you were already gone" she lied. Her cheeks flushed pink and her eyes flashed all around the room; I decided not to push her anymore, I was too tired and I didn't want her running off again.

"I'm supposed to be cleaning" I said, breaking the silence that engulfed us.

"I wouldn't clean either, with a head wound like that" Abelia said, again, I wore the expression of confusion.

"Head wound?" I asked, Abelia sighed and shook her head.

"You mean, you can't feel it? Persephone, you have a nasty gash on the back of your head...though....it looks like someone's treated it already..." she trailed off, looking at the back of my head. All of a sudden, we heard footsteps and saw the dim light of an approaching lantern, Abelia and I both stood as quickly as we could and grasped some cleaning products, just in case it was my uncle.

And, it was.

He stopped to see me wincing as I dusted and Abelia fall down to her knees and scrub the floor. "Persephone" Firmin said, I turned.

"Yes, monsieur?"

"Come with me. Abelia, you are needed waiting the opera boxes; hurry, Persephone" Firmin said, I leaned the broom against the wall and hurried to the best of my ability. He grasped my hand and pulled me to the surface, taking me backstage. "This is your second warning, young lady, if you start a quarrel with any of the stars I will stick you in the cellars permanently" he hissed, wagging his finger at me, I nodded solemnly. He sighed and stood, walking away to start a wonderfully happy chat with the vice president of the fine arts university. How could he be such a two-face?

How could he be so mean to his own kin?

I shook my head and wandered around backstage, helping where help was needed. As I walked around, I ran into La Carlotta; she wasn't too happy to see me. "Oh, it's you, servant girl. Been singing much?" She hissed, I shook my head and she smiled "good, little servant."