Chapter 12

Anastasia's POV;

Nobody moved. My cold grey eyes glared into his apologetic hazel ones. His two back ups shuffled uncomfortably under the authority radiating off me and my parents looked between us fearfully. At that moment my phone rang.

Without taking my gaze from anyone, I pulled it from my pocket and answered it. "The Prowess speaking," I spoke stiffly with authority.

"Good evening Prowess," Rick's voice greeted me. "Am I at liberty to ask?" He asked cautiously. Rick being one of the few people who could read me well would have known from my tone that something was wrong.

"The timings right but the moments not, expect little for nothing" I replied wearily knowing Rick would understand.

In the pack I'd brought in hidden meanings behind phrases as a tactic for if we were being spied on, so they wouldn't know what we were saying or planning. My reply was one of many; letting Rick know I had unwelcome company but could handle them, as well as to give me a moment before speaking properly.

"Leave." I ordered my confused audience. My parents and the back ups didn't need telling twice as they backed out of the room, he however had to be dragged out by my mother grabbing his arm and giving him a look. Eventually the door shut although on the other side of the door they were listening.

"You can talk but keep it very brief," I warned him.

"Okay. How about wolf?" he asked. By wolf he was referring to the mind connection between the pack and me, also telling me that the topic was important.

"Agreed. 5minutes but watch our steps." I said before hanging up. Returning my phone to my pocket, I forgot about the tea I'd been making, grabbed my keys off the side and my jacket hanging on the chair then headed for the kitchen door. I hesitated with my hand resting on the door handle, smirking as I heard the footsteps on the other side of it shuffling away before opening it.

Their expressions would have been funny if I were in the mood to laugh. Growling viciously, I shoved passed them to the front door where I paused again. "Don't. Follow. Me." I weightily snarled. Without hesitation I pulled open the door, stepped into the humid air, slammed the door behind me before walking over to my car and getting in. Not even a minute later I was pulling out of the drive and stepping on the accelerator.

Make amends! Don't make me laugh. Since when do you try to make amends with someone you tried to kill?! For years he was a person that I could trust, that I could confide in; I respected him, we looked after each other but he lost every one of those privileges the moment he phased and attacked me when my back was turned.

At the time, I was young and vulnerable and foolishly, I trusted him. He led me out to the woods and convinced me he had a present for me but I had to turn around and shut my eyes because it was a surprise...

Flashback

"James?" I asked. Just as I was about to turn round and peek, teeth clasped onto my shoulder, biting into my neck, claws were dug into my back causing me to fall to the floor under the amount of weight clinging to my back. Some part of my mind managed a tactful thought; I mustered up enough strength to throw him off me.

It wasn't enough because in another second his claws were back, ripping at every part of my body they could reach, meanwhile my screams painfully filled the silent woods. My hand subconsciously reached out searching for something I could use to protect me; a big rock came to hand. Picking it up I smacked him in the side of his head, I made a move to do it again but his paw threw it from hand.

As he raised his paw to deliver the killing blow, he was torn off of me. My pack had joined me; they must have heard my screaming. They chased after him when he ran while Rick and Samson immediately came to my aid.