Ch. 10

Auston's POV- September 2016

"I told her I liked having her around" I mumbled into my pillow as my older sister Alexandria laughed.

"Oh my god, you're so not smooth!"

She continued laughing and I shifted to look at her.

"Is she pretty?"

"She's beautiful" I stated.

"Do you have a picture?"

"No, but you can google her" I told her.

Alex looked at me and raised an eyebrow.

"What's her name?"

"Give me your phone" I said.

She handed me her phone and I googled Esmeralda's name. The first article was in fact an article on her retirement. I loaded the first picture that came up and handed it to my sister. I reached for my pillow and covered my face with it as she gasped.

 I reached for my pillow and covered my face with it as she gasped

"No way"

I groaned as she slapped my chest.

"Esmeralda Baez is interning for your team?"

"Yup" I mumbled.

"Isn't she at UCLA?"

I moved the pillow from my face and looked at my sister.

"How do you know this?" I asked.

She looked at me like I was an idiot.

"Auston, she was supposed to be the first Olympic gold Medalist to compete in NCAA gymnastics"

"Mitch told me she got injured" I said.

Alex nodded.

"You never told me why she's in Toronto"

"She's doing a semester abroad" I told her.

"Really?"

I nodded.

"So she's here until early December"

"I guess" I said.

"I don't know how to tell you this"

I rolled my eyes as she grinned.

"But she's way out of your league hermanito"

"You don't think I know that?" I asked.

She shrugged and hummed.

"I'll help you, that is if you want my help"

"What do you have in mind?" I asked.

"Right now, just be yourself. Let her get to know you. She treats you as if you were a normal person, right?"

"I think so" I stated.

Alexandria nodded.

"I want to meet her"

"Why?" I asked.

"Cause unlike you, I actually followed her career. She had it rough at the end of her career when her own body wouldn't cooperate with her"

"Mitch told me she announced her retirement through a video" I told her.

"Yeah, it's an incredibly sad video. I recommend you watch it on your own"

With that she got off my bed and turned to me.

"You have practice tomorrow morning, so I'll let you get to sleep"

I nodded slowly.

"Can you hand me my laptop?" I asked.

She placed my laptop on my bed before making her way out.

"Night"

"Good night" I called out to her.

Once she's gone, I reach for my laptop and google Esmeralda's name. She had social media, but most of it was private. She had a Youtube page, so I loaded up the page that was filled with videos documenting her adventures. I opened her wikipedia page and began reading,

Esmeralda Jasmine Baez (born October 2, 1995) is an American former artistic gymnast. She was a member of the United States women's gymnastics team dubbed the Fierce Five, the team that won the second team gold medal for the US, and the first on international soil, in the women's team competition at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. She won an individual silver medal in the vault event. Baez was also a member of the gold winning American team at the 2011 World Championships where she won gold medals in the team and vault competitions. She defended her world title at the 2013 World Championships, becomnig the first US femal gymnast to defend a World Championship vault title. In order to do this, she pushed back her NCAA debut and redshirted her freshmen year. Health issues did not allow her to make her college debut. She decided in 2016 to no longer compete in gymnasts due to health issues.

"Come in" I called out when I heard a light knock on the door.

The door opened and my mom peaked inside.

"Good night honey, your father and I are going to bed. You should do the same since you have a long day ahead of you"

"I will in a bit" I told her.

She nodded and with that she left. I turned to look at the screen, and took a deep breath as I looked at the video titled, "Life After Gymnastics". I decided not to load the video, and instead I closed my laptop. I wasn't going to stalk her on social media; I was going to man up and ask her on a date.

A/N: Well that's bold of Auston.