Ch. 39

Auston's POV- December 2016

"What are you three up to?" I asked as I walked into the living room.

George, Kasperi and William all looked away from George's laptop.

"I thought I'd show you guys a few clips that didn't make the cut"

I heard Esmeralda laugh.

"Oh my god, what are you showing them?"

I smiled at Esmeralda as she made her way over.

"Well first, I'm going to show them the intro of your documentary"

She smiled.

"You've perfected it?"

George laughed.

"No, but these two are bugging me"

I turned my attention towards the TV as what was on his laptop appeared on the screen.

"How did you do that?" I asked.

"Technology"

George smiled and loaded a video.

"Alright guys, gather around"

I looked at Esmeralda who sat down on the couch and patted the spot next to her. I sat down and looked at the screen as I put my arm around her. Kasperi stood up and shut off the lights earning a hum from George.

"Alright, let's get this playing"

I leaned back and turned my attention to the TV as George pressed play. I smiled as Esmeralda appeared on the screen. A song began playing, and I rubbed Esmeralda's arm when I realized it was her singing. I turned my attention to the TV and watched as time progressed in the small clips of her walking. She walked around in crutches, with a brace on, crying, completely zoned out and smiling. I noticed some of the clips were shot in Toronto as well. The clips jumped back to Esmeralda walking in LA, and I nodded as she opened the door. She stepped inside the house closing the door on the camera just as the song finished and, scribbling was heard as Esmeralda's name began being signed onto the screen. Her bubbly signature appeared on the screen with Life After Gymnastics under it. The screen turned black and static was heard.

"Representing the United States of America, Esmeralda Baez"

Sounds of papers moving were heard, as quick clips of Esmeralda competing were shown. The screen went black and October 2013 appeared on the bottom of the screen.

"It is so early Jo"

A yawn was heard as the lights turned on to reveal they were in a gym.

"We got to stay in shape"

Esmeralda scoffed.

"Excuse you, but I am in shape"

The clip changed and her friend, Jordyn Wieber appeared on the screen doing situps

"I understand why you have to be up at 5AM, but why do I have to be up at 5AM?"

Jordyn laughed and smiled up at the camera.

"I mean you technically can't do much right?"

Esmeralda moved the camera down to reveal a brace on her knee.

"You defended your Vault title, but at what cost"

The camera moved to Jordyn's face as Esmeralda shushed her.

"Do your sit ups!"

The clip changed to current day Esmeralda who smiled.

"After London, I was 1 of 2 gymnasts who decided to maintain my amateur eligibility to compete in NCAA gymnastics. I decided to redshirt my freshmen year of college in order to defend my World title on Vault"