Chapter 28

The next morning was busy for me and my little family. I had to take Nathan to school around 7:30am, and try to get as much as I could done before I have to pick him up around 1 in the afternoon.

"Come on Bonnie, give mommy your hand." Emily said in a high pitch tone. Bonnie came running up to me, letting me hold her tiny hand that could only wrap around three of my fingers.

"Are you going to get your hair and nails done today?"  Emily asked me looking at the list of things we need to do.

"Yeah I can get my nails done in the salon in Walmart since it's the next place we have to go to." I stated as I placed a box of diapers in the basket.

"Mommy can I look at the toys?!" Bonnie jumped up and down pulling on my arm.

"Can you wait until we're done?" I asked her looking at the few things I had to grab. She stopped jumping and nodded.

Grabbing some food and laundry soap I threw them in my basket and then headed over to the toy section. Bonnie let go of my hand and ran over to the dolls.

"Can I get this one?!" She hugged a box that contained a beautiful dark skinned Barbie doll, with a curly Afro, a brown and purple smiley eye with eyeliner, pink lips, a gold necklace and she wore a white Lacey shirt with a pair of blue jeans along with some wedge heels.

"How much is she?" I ask walking towards where the rest of the dolls were and found the price tag for the one she wants.

"She's about 12 dollars, not bad." I let Bonnie carry her new doll around and got in line with Emily at the check out stand.

"Is that your new Barbie?" Emily smiled at Bonnie who couldn't contain herself.

"Ugh how disgusting." Emily and I turned around to see a middle aged woman rolling her eyes as she stared at my daughter.

"Excuse me?" I asked making sure she was even talking about us.

"That's disgusting, you let your daughter play with black dolls." She hissed making my blood boil.

"Well my daughter isn't a racist bitch like you." Was all I said before we left the line to go to another one.

"Mommy why did you call that lady a bitch?" Bonnie squeaked.

"First don't repeat the bad words I say, second that lady doesn't like people who are different like people who don't have pale skin like us, she is what you call racist and we are not like her. We treat everyone the way we want to be treated no matter what their skin color is, how they speak, what their religion, it doesn't matter. You be nice to everyone and treat them how you want to be treated." I explained to Bonnie as best as I could.

We stepped up to the cashier who looked like she was about to cry. "Is everything okay?" I asked feeling like I should help.

"Yes, I just over heard you talking to your daughter and I loved every second of it, you're actually teaching your children equality and love instead of being hateful." She wiped under her dark brown eyes.

"It boils my blood that there are so many hateful people in the world, I don't want kids to grow up thinking it's okay, my brother is bisexual and has a boyfriend and my cousin is half black half white and some of my really good friends aren't religious or they are of a different religion like Muslim, I want my kids to know that it's okay to be who they are and just because they them self or someone else is different doesn't give anyone a right to judge." I smiled as I spoke to chaser who wore a hijab.

"I'm very happy to hear that, as a Muslim myself it's difficult to find acceptance and privacy just because I wear a hijab and people get scared." She sighed as she scanned my items.

"Well we accept you and you deserve your privacy just like anyone else, this is suppose to America land of the free not America land of only Christian white people." The cashier smiled brightly and put my things in the bag.

"I don't come across many people like you, you just made my whole day."  Her smile was genuine. I walked around the small counter and hugged the cashier, even though I didn't know her she was the sweetest girl I've met.

"I hope you have a wonderful day adilah." I said looking at her name tag hoping I didn't butcher her name.

Once I laid I waved goodbye to her and we left.

"Now to Walmart." I told Emily as she started the car.

After I got my nails done and Emily got her shopping done, we went and picked up Nathan who was equally excited to see his baby sister as she was to see him.  After buckling them in we went to a restaurant to go get food and then see if I can find a hairstylist for the wedding.