Chapter 12

~ Brittany ~

"So, what color should my dress be?" I asked Daisy. "I'm thinking a light, shimmery, pink." I smiled just thinking about it.

Daisy smiled and nodded. She approved.

"Also." I said, excitedly. "You won't believe this, but someone asked me to the dance!"

She looked relatively happy for me, but I knew Daisy just wasn't interested in these type of things.

"Wanna know who?" I persisted.

She looked over at me.

"Alvin!" I swooned and fell on top of my bed, forgetting everything and remembering how he had asked me at lunch.

I looked over at Daisy, half expecting her to be rolling her eyes and smiling. But..her face had turned a shade darker. Her eyes had turned to stone.

"Daisy?" I asked, not understanding why she looked like that.

She didn't reply. She didn't even look like she still knew I was here.

"Daisy." I replied, a little scared. "Daisy!"

She turned to face me, face dark.

"Did you say Alvin?"

I gasped, I hadn't heard Daisy speak once in all this time that I've known her.

What the heck!!?

"Y-yes why?" I asked, confused.

She sighed. "Brittany, I don't know if I want you to go with him."

Omg, again!? First Jeanette, then Simon, now Daisy!!?

"Daisy." I said, exasperated. "I don't care what you want. I'm going with him, that's that."

I half expected her to banter back but instead she formed her lips into a tight line (which she only did when she was angry) and turned back to face the book she was reading. I was foolish to think that Daisy would want to fight, she wasn't even like that.

I sighed and pulled out my phone.

I checked my Instagram. I was scrolling aimlessly through recent posts and double tapping when all of a sudden my thumb froze in mid-air. Jeanette had taken a picture with Simon and the caption was; "when you know you're meant for eachother💓"

I sighed. I would've usually commented; "goals" or somewhere along the lines of that, but I was still so angry at them.

They acted as if they knew so much more than me and it really was a little annoying. I knew they meant the best, but why do they always have something to say?

I was not some gullible, preppy, stuck-up girl who people think they saw in me I was so much more then that. Alvin tells me all the time about how much he likes my personality.

Why couldn't the people closest to me see that?

****
"I can't believe Alvin asked you to the dance," Eleanor tells me. "I mean, it was a little..unexpected. Don't you think?"

Actually, no, I didn't think that but whatever.

"Yeah, it was quite a surprise and a little old-fashioned considering he asked me at lunch."

"Yeah." Eleanor agreed, relieved that I wasn't mad. "At lunch? Wow, he must've got that from somewhere, sometime."

"Yep." I say, a little bored with this topic. Everyone was surprised, and I guess, so was I. Alvin was popular, good-looking, and I'm sure he had a lot of girls asking him already, but having conversations like these kept reminding me of all this and it didn't help me feel less nervous.