A Mermaids Tear

A mermaid's tear. That's what was needed. But mermaids aren't at all friendly.

Blackbeard was crazy! How did he plan to get this mermaids tear? It was suicide and everyone knew it. They had to follow orders though, otherwise they would be killed on the spot. Although, that may be less painful than what a mermaid would do to you. They drown you first, the eat you. Urgh.

"Whose that?" Jack asked Angelica. He was pointing upwards towards the sails.

"That is Philip Swift. He is a very religious man. I think he offended father somehow so that's why he's up there." she explained.

"So he isn't going to be killed?"

"No, father wants to keep him for some reason."

"You do know Barbosa will follow us?" I said, changing the subject and keep Angelica away from Jack.

"Yes, that is probably part of the plan." she sneered.

              We arrived at a beach where the crew had to stand in the water with nets. A couple of men were sent out to the sea in a rowing boat. You could also hear them singing but only faintly. That would attract the mermaids.

         We were waiting for ages. Blackbeard, Angelica, Jack and I were the only ones not holding nets. The four of us were walking around on a piece of decking , waiting for any sign of movement. At long last, we did.

        The first thing we saw was splashing, before a mermaid almost drowned one of the crew members. As soon as that happened, the rest of the men panicked. Mermaids were getting closer towards the shore and it was getting out of hand!

"Retreat! Retreat!" Jack was shouting.

"No! Stand your ground men!" Blackbeard ordered. He glared at Jack and then stormed off.

"They are going to get killed before we even get a mermaid into a net." I stated.

"Wait here!" Jack was shouting to me as he ran towards the tower.

"What the hell is he doing!?" Angelica asked me, frowning.

"How should I know? You were the one who almost married him." I snapped.

     Soon enough, all of the men had forgotten the plan and were running for their lives. I got involved after I had gotten pushed into the sea. A mermaid had grabbed me but I had thrown her off. All I could hear was shouting and hissing. Suddenly, there was a loud explosion. I spun around and saw that the tower had exploded. Just as I was about to scream, I saw Jack's body dive off of the crumbling tower and into the sea. The mermaids swam away, hissing at the light shining on them. We were lucky to get out of this, well, most of us.

             The plan was to then travel from this beach and into the rainforest that surrounded the island; apparently we would find the fountain of youth somewhere here. Great, more walking trips. Our so called 'innocent and religious' Philip Swift had been the one to capture the mermaid we needed. He seemed very fond of her. Too fond.

"Philip, how exactly did you capture the mermaid?" I asked him as we walked. I needed this quest to be over.

"She...she saved my life." he answered, a little shocked.

"What? The creature that drowns and eats men saved your life?"

"Yes, I was almost crushed after that explosion but she pushed me out of the way."

"No way." I was laughing by now.

"Everyone has a little bit of good in them!" he snapped, storming towards the cage the mermaid was being kept in.

Well that shut me up.

"We shall stop here. Then we carry on." Blackbeard announced.

Walking beside Jack, I leaned up to his ear and whispered."Jack, are you sure you know what you're doing?"

"Not at all, Scarlett." he answered as if nothing had was happening.

How did I know he would say that?