Chapter 13

Perrie's POV

"911 what's your emergency?"

"We need help. There is a girl drowning in the river on east street, past the valley." I pleaded

"Thats clear across town" the phone operator retorted

"I don't give a rats ass... SHES FUCKING DROWNING" I yelled

"We'll send help right away, try to hold on for 15-20 minutes"

"She doesn't have that much time!" I cried and hung up

Everyone else arrived and we were chasing her down the river. Even Harry came to see if we could get her. But he didnt seem too happy...

Jaylies POV

The river had looked so enchanting. It was almost like it was calling...no begging me to take a swim.

The problem was, I had never swam before. Being as poor as we were,  we couldn't afford memberships to the pool.

One step, and the water was pulling me under.

And I let it.

Nialls POV

"They aren't going to get here in time!" Perrie cries

"We have to do something!" I shout over the roaring river. "Is there any spot where its not as strong?"

"There's one area where its calm,  just for like five seconds." Perrie says recalling memory.

"Thats where we get her" Zayn commands.

I sprint to this pocket of calm water. She was almost there. There was no way to reach her..... unless someone went in.

I had this crazy idea, I stripped off my shirt and threw it to the side. Hopefully six years on the swim team pays off.

"Niall" Sophia screams, but I don't listen. I jump in and swim to a rock in the middle of the river. She was almost to my location.

"Niall your not going to make it!!!" Eleanor yells

Jaylie starts drifting past me. I grab onto her wrist, but I miss the grip of the rock.

Oh shit.....

"Grab on" I hear and see a branch in front of me. With my free hand I grab on and pull Jaylie close to me.

It takes Liam, Zayn,  and Alex to pull us up out of the water. I sputter and cough out the water I swallowed.

I sit up next to Jaylie, heaving from the hard swim, and see no movement.

Jaylies POV

I couldn't see anything, but my body felt as if I were floating on clouds. Coldness ran throughout me.

I saw a light up in the distance with a figure in the middle.

"Dad" I croaked as I began to recognize his figure.

"Jaylie,  I have missed you so much" he says

"I missed you more" Pain shoots to his eyes, and he turns to walk away

"Dad....... DAD" I scream but he disappears.

"Jaylie" this time its a different voice. "Jaylie stay with me"

I fluttered my eyes to see. When they finally opened I saw Niall hovering over me, shirtless and damp.

"Thank God" he smiled.

I coughed and water came out.

I didnt want to be saved...... Dad....

I wanted to see him so bad.

"Jaylie what happened?" Perrie steps forward and kneels at my side.

I don't say anything, not wanting to speak.

"Jaylie talk to us?" She beckons

I saw Harry standing in the background. Images and words pulsed through my head.

He would surely kill me if I told them what happened.

"I.....I... was frustrated. I slapped Harry and ran off. I don't know what got into me... I ran by this river, and I slipped and hit my head." I say, probably way too fast to understand.

Harry smirked at my lie. Pleased that I didnt rat him out.

"Lets get you back home" Niall tries to comfort me.

Harry flashed a look of anger and stormed off. Believe me, I didnt want to go back either...

Niall gave me his shirt to keep me warm from the freezing river's currents.

So close......He was within my grasp....

--------------------------------------------

Sorry its a sucky, short chapter.... I am trying to update every few days so it's not too long of a wait..

Anyway vote or share if you like it.

Thanks

-T