Chapter 8

"Come on. We're supposed to be meeting up in the dark alleyway over there."

The freckled girl jerked her head in the direction of the alley and briskly walked to it. The slightly shorter brown-haired male followed nervously, flicking his eyes side-to-side.

"Are you sure this is the place?" he spoke up after a few minutes. "He could have meant another alley."

"Hm. I was." She tapped her chin before grabbing her bag. "How about this. You stay here while I go and look around for a bit. I won't take long if he isn't nearby."

"Okay. I'll hold down the fort. You be safe, Petra."

Petra snorted and put some loose hair behind her ear, fixing her beanie. "More like you be safe, Jay. Now, remember this, if he comes here and I haven't returned yet, just stall for me."

"Gotcha." He then watched Petra disappear into the darkness and then stayed vigilant.

After another few minutes, Jesse was starting to get a little tired of being alert so he decided to rest his tired legs, sitting down with his back leaning against the wall. Thankfully, it wasn't as hot as it was a few hours ago but he still had a bit of perspiration on his neck from the uncomfortable humidity.

He looked around him for anything interesting. There wasn't really anything- just moldy walls, broken glass, and–

A bag?

The large dark blue sack seemed fairly new and the bulge indicated something was still in it. Curious with nothing or no one to hold him back, he reached out to grab it.

The sound of hollow footsteps nearby caused Jesse's head to perk up. Slowly but quietly pushing himself up, he shifted most of his weight to one foot and leaned against the wall, arms crossed.

A shadow of a slender man veiled the green-eyed boy as they walked around the corner. Jesse resisted the urge to step back and kept eye contact with the dark-haired man. Despite not being able to clearly see the man's face in the shadows, Jesse guessed where his eyes were and kept his focus there.

"And just who are you...?"

A bit of silence.

"No, who are you?" replied the boy with a bit of sass. His sister was really rubbing off on him.

The man made a wide movement with his hands and said, "If you belonged here, you would know!"

"Unless... that's all part of the plan," Jesse awkwardly smirked.

The long-haired man just stared at him for a second before furrowing what seemed to be his eyebrows. "I'm supposed to meet with Petra, not whatever you're supposed to be! Give me one good reason why I shouldn't walk out of here right now."

"Because..." he struggled to find a reason, "you need a Wither core." Smart move, Jesse. So smart.

The man's eyes widened slightly and then seemed to glare at Jesse. "Don't say that out loud! People would kill for this thing."

"Why do you even need it? Seems a little sketchy, sir."

"I have no business telling you my intentions. That's it, I'm out–"

"Ivor!"

The two males turned their heads to see Petra down the other side of the alley and the man sighed. "Ah, here she is. Finally. Your... partner... here almost soured the deal."

"Sorry I'm late. But – good things are worth waiting for. I've got what you've asked for." She walked up to stand next to Jesse and sent him a glance to not mess this up for her.