Chapter 50

If you like this story, leave a star and comment! More love = more chapters!

Sorry for republishing, I made a big goof™ and there was no way I could keep it there. For those who know what I did wrong, you can keep the secret to yourself lolol

~*Ω*~

His ears flashed with a stronger ringing and he jerked his arm up, covering one. Jesse shook his head, saying, "Jess, it's me."

She shook her head, scooting away from him, her wide emerald eyes full of worry and confusion, yet her voice stayed calm and smooth. "I don't know who you are. Who 'Jess' is. Why do you look like that? What happened to you?"

"Huh?" The twin brother looked down at himself and could do nothing but flicker his eyelids, still too deep in the adrenaline rush to worry about his current appearance. Blood patches stained his white shirt and his clothing was ripped and singed. A large part of his skin was burned and gruesome-looking. "Oh, uh... I almost died. Anyway, are you playing a trick on me? What's happening, here? Is Petra part of this?"

"Who's... Petra?"

It was finally setting in. This was not a joke. By now, the Jess he knew would go, "Just kidding! I'm sorry for making you worry." But the sister sitting in front of him was not her; she was a semblance of what she used to be.

"Jess, I... you don't remember? You don't remember who you are? Who your friends are? Not even who I am?"

"No, I don't know who you are! And seriously, who is Jess?"

The Witherstorm screeched loudly above them and Jesse grabbed her hand, pulling her away. "We need to go!"

"What's happening?" she asked, not surprised or scared by the monster over their heads.

"I'll explain later!"

They clambered over the rubble and destroyed terrain, climbing over large boulders and avoiding fire in their way. Jesse called for his friends and didn't stop running, swinging his head around frantically. Where were they?

"Guys?!" he shouted.

"Over here!" three people yelled.

He whirled his head around and found his fellow classmates waving at him from behind a protrusion in the earth, hiding from the Witherstorm's tractor beams. He tugged Jess along and forced her to duck when a beam went over them. "Oh no," he said, feeling his body become weightless. "Help! Pull me out!"

His sister, out of the beam, reached for his wrist and pulled as hard as she could, trying her best against the strength of the Wither. "Hold on!" She tightened her grip on his arm and swung her body in a circle, effectively swinging Jesse out of the beam and into his friends' faces. Axel, Olivia, and Lukas were bowled and toppled over, crushed under the brother's body.

"Dear Jess, is that really you?" Gabriel coughed and looked up at her. "Please don't make this a spare."

Lukas groaned from underneath Jesse. "Just because you said that, I hope it happens to you."

She stood there as the beam passed their area and she played with her hands. "I'm... Jess?"

"Huh?" Everyone except the male twin looked at each other in confusion.

"Guys, she's... AGHH!" Jesse jerked up in pain and pushed the others out from below him.

Axel immediately got up and kneeled at his side. "Jesse! Are you okay?" Olivia sat next to him and fixed her disappointed glare upon the large teen. "Axel, look at him some more. He's in terrible shape! The Formidi-bomb almost killed him!"